SOLVED Highpoint Rocket Raid hpt27xx driver in FreeNas 8.3.0b1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnKnee

Dabbler
Did anyone get this card to work natively in FN8.3.0b1? I tried taking the new beta for a spin (on a new USB key) but my drives don't show up unless I load the old FreeBSD 8.0 driver from the Highpoint website.

I thought the hpt27xx diver was included in FreeBSD 8.3 and hence FN8.3.0b1 especially after this ticket was closed here
http://support.freenas.org/ticket/1496#comment:5

I tried to manually load the driver with kldload but get "no such file or directory".

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What controller do you have exactly? It would have been VERY helpful if you had posted your exact model number...

I'm kind of the new Highpoint resident expert for FreeNAS(I just wrote a rather lengthy Highpoint post a few days ago.. see the link in my sig) and I'm going to spend more time than I should have because you couldn't provide us with your exact model....

I would like to point out that Highpoint hasn't supported all controllers of a given family. Controller driver support has been inconsistent even between controllers of the same family. I had to submit ticket 1704 to get the driver fixed. I submitted FreeNAS ticket 1704 to add support to the 4320, 4321, 4311, and 4310(the 4320 was the only card supported by the driver!) as well as add the 3560 and 3530(the rest of the 35xx series IS supported and if you went by the website you'd buy the $900 3560 to find out it doesn't work but the website says it should!) One of their controllers on Newegg is listed as having FreeBSD support but the feedback says FreeBSD is NOT supported at all. Another feedback comment on Newegg for a 27xx card says you have support for 8x but not for 9.x and Highpoint has said they do not intend to support 9.x+.

Anyway, here's what I found from a search of the Highpoint drivers for the 27xx series cards: (link I used is http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/product_support_sas6.htm)

2722/2720SGL-There is no driver to download from the website. Either it's built-into FreeBSD or there actually is no driver for FreeBSD. Considering the manual does not mention how to setup the driver in FreeBSD I'm going to assume it is not supported. (See below 271x and 272x...they're website is confusing)

2782/2760/2760A/2744/2740-Again no driver is available at http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/product_support_sas6.htm#. There is a WebGUI so my first reaction would be that FreeBSD is supported. But per a comment on Newegg(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115095) the support for FreeBSD is limited to 8.x. At http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/CS-series_rr276x-rr274x.htm (WHY are the drivers not at the first link I mentioned in this section, but at this link?) is a series of drivers.

2782 - Driver at http://www.highpoint-tech.com/BIOS_Driver/RR2782/FreeBSD/rr278x-bsd-8.2-v1.0.tgz appears to be written for FreeBSD 8.2. It's NOT a source code, so support is limited to what versions of FreeBSD will work with the .ko file. Of course, there is a chance that support is built into FreeBSD 9. But based on my experience with driver support from Highpoint I think it's much more likely support is limited to FreeBSD 8.2. The driver may work on 8.0 and 8.3, but I wouldn't expect it to. I wouldn't recommend this controller because it's very likely when you go to FreeBSD 9.0 you'll lose support for this controller. You would have to test this yourself if you have this controller. If it doesn't work you are pretty much SOL.

2760/2760A-The driver at http://www.highpoint-tech.com/BIOS_.../v1.0.10.0908/rr276x-bsd-8.0-v1.0.10.0908.tgz is another .ko file. While it is compiled for 8.0, it may work on 8.2 and 8.3 As above, there's a chance it's built into FreeBSD 9.x+ but I wouldn't count on it. You would have to test this yourself if you have this controller. If it doesn't work you are pretty much SOL.

2744 - The driver at http://www.highpoint-tech.com/BIOS_Driver/RR274x_3x/freebsd/rr274x_3x-bsd-8.0-v1.0.10.0712.tgz is another .ko file. Like above, it is compiled for 8.2, but it may work on 8.2 and 8.3 Also as above, there's a chance it's built into FreeeBSD 9.x+ but I wouldn't count on it. Again, if you have this controller you'll have to test it yourself. If it doesn't work you are pretty much SOL.

2740 - The driver is at http://www.highpoint-tech.com/BIOS_Driver/RR274x_3x/freebsd/rr274x_3x-bsd-8.0-v1.0.10.0712.tgz is again a .ko file. File is for 8.0, but may work on 8.2 and 8.3 If you have this card and you want FreeBSD 9.x+ support you'll be on your own to test and get it to work.

Did you notice that the link for the 2740 and 2744 aren't the same, but a SHA256 check shows the files are identical. Someone is VERY poorly organized(which I already knew).

271x and 27x driver is at http://www.highpoint-tech.com/BIOS_....0.10.0719/rr272x_1x-bsd-8.0-v1.0.10.0719.tgz. It is a pre-combiled binary(.ko) so support for future FreeBSD versions is not expected. The file will work on 8.0, and may work on 8.2 and 8.3, but 9.x+ is very unlikely. You are on your own to test/verify this controller on future versions.

Basically, .ko files are useless for the community to support. If Highpoint releases the driver then great. If they don't, too bad for you. I was able to get my controller (RocketRAID 3560) to work because the source code for the driver is what Highpoint provided for the 35xx series and 43xx series. Since the source code for the whole 27xx family is not available(at least I couldn't find it anywhere) you are at the mercy of Highpoint to release the driver for current and future versions of FreeBSD.

My advice is this: If you can get the controller to work on FreeNAS right now you are lucky at best. I wouldn't bet any kind of money that when FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD 9.x+ you will ever get the card to work. I would find an alternative controller to use in your server. As FreeNAS begins using FreeBSD 9.x you'll be on your own to fix security vulnerabilities and other bugs because you are using a controller that cannot be supported by the community and isn't supported by Highpoint at the current time. Being that FreeBSD 9.0 has been out since Jan 2012 I'd say Highpoint doesn't intend to support any of the 27xx controllers on 9.x. The 27xx controllers are at from 2010, so I'm not surprised they've discontinued support for their old line of products.

So.. in conclusion.. good luck!

JohnKnee

Dabbler
@noobsauce80

Thanks for answering and yes I saw your wonderful guide and did not want to hijack it hence the separate post.

My card is a Rocket Raid 2720sgl card, flashed to non-raid mode with firmware 1.2. It is working and has been working with FreeNas 8.0.x to 8.2.rc by following this thread (with the help of Gnome and Harlequin)

Prior to 8.2 I had to manually modify loader.conf to load the driver but now I just use a tunable setting using the driver that you also found
Code:
271x and 27x driver is at http://www.highpoint-tech.com/BIOS_D....0.10.0719.tgz.  It is a pre-combiled binary(.ko) so support for future FreeBSD versions is not expected.
The file will work on 8.0, and may work on 8.2 and 8.3, but 9.x+ is very unlikely. You are on your own to test/verify this controller on future versions.

This driver does work for 8.3.0b1 using the same method but FreeBSD version 8.3 and 9.0 has the newer builtin driver hpt27xx that supports

Code:
The hpt27xx driver supports the following SAS controllers:

HighPoint's RocketRAID 271x series
    HighPoint's RocketRAID 272x series
    HighPoint's RocketRAID 274x series
    HighPoint's RocketRAID 276x series
    HighPoint's RocketRAID 278x series

Sorry but according to ticket 1496 it appeared that the new driver did make it into FreeNas 8.3.x. I am just writing because I still can not get FN8.3.0b1 to natively find and support my card and was wondering if I did something wrong or somehow it is not in the 8.3.0-beta1 release.

Hope this makes sense. And thanks.:)

PS. I also hate it when Highpoint keeps changing their website making it difficult to find the right drivers for this card.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It appears that the latest driver for FreeBSD-CVS i@http://ftp.ua.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/development/FreeBSD-CVS/src/sys/dev/hpt27xx/README,v is 2012.01.15.13.23.33. delphij worked on this driver previously(he's the same one that fixed my ticket for the rr3560).

It looks like the most likely situation is the 27xx driver didn't support your card and the newer driver from 9.0+ might(???) but as I don't have one of your cards so I can't really do much to help you personally. As a general rule the FreeNAS developers try not to mess with kernel mode drivers unless the actually have the hardware on-hand because you never know what you're going to break.

It looks like the 27xx driver might not have originally supported your card(i know.. 27xx should have included your card). If this is a situation like my driver, your card may be supported with the 9.x drivers but not the actual 8.3. The highpoint driver for my card says 35xx, but the 3560 and 3530 weren't identified as valid card models. When the hptiop driver found a 3560 or 3530 it ignored them as they werent included in the driver for some reason. This is true even for FreeBSD 9.0 despite the card coming out 2+ years ago.

Here's what I would do:

Try the FreeNAS 8.3-nightly build. This will almost certainly cover ticket 1496(latest build is 4 hours ago from this post). Since I'm not sure if the beta1 includes ticket 1496 fixes you may be falsely assuming that beta1 has the fix and it actually doesn't. If the nightly works you can be sure the next beta/release of 8.3 will work.

If the nightly doesn't work would install FreeBSD 8.3 on your server and see if your card works. If it does work then put a ticket in asking for someone to take the 8.3 driver from FreeBSD and try to get your card working. The source code for the hpt27xx says it supports the hpt2720 card but there may be other issues. The driver is a bunch of files compared to the hptiop driver and there may be some key code missing for your card model. The driver doesn't specifically call out the 2720SGL, but considering the main difference between the 2720SGL and 2720 is that the ports are internal versus external I'd think they'd work.

If you install FreeBSD 8.3 and it doesn't work I'd try installing 9.0. If 9.0 works the put a ticket in asking someone to migrate the 9.0 driver to 8.3. Keep in mind that in this situation the developers may say "well, just wait for 9.0 release". They're really short on resources so they have to pick and choose their battles.

It's possible that Highpoint never supported FreeBSD 8.3 on your card so you're just kinda SOL. Highpoint has been weird with their old cards and while it looks like they're trying to get things working it's a little weird having 9.0 and 8.3+ both in production at the same time. Maintaining both versions simultaneously is a PITA. At least you can use the 8.0 driver on their website.

As it stands with my controller, FreeBSD 9.0 doesn't even support my controller! AFAIK FreeNAS 8.3b1+ will support my card but not the official FreeBSD versions. What a mess :( There's a reason why I'm hoping Highpoint will give me a card for the new generation so we can do our own analysis and make sure this stuff actually works. It's hard to do troubleshooting/fixing without the actual hardware. I really hate that I have a card that claimed to work but didn't and nobody else figured it out. I haven't done programming in 10 years, so I'm not a hotshot at all, but I can take a look and sometimes find the problem on my own ;).

If you can't get FreeBSD 8.3 or FreeNAS 8.3-nightly to work but FreeBSD 9.0 works I may take the 9.0 driver and compiling it on 8.3 and see if that will help you. At least we'd have a definitely place to look for working code.

One question: Above you said you flashed to the non-raid mode with version 1.2. The link I found (http://www.highpoint-tech.com/BIOS_Driver/R272x/Bois/R272x_non_RAID_BIOS_4.0.0.1808.rar haha.. BIOS is spelled bois) is 4.0.0.1808. If you are using a modified firmware that could be why the card isn't initializing. I also found the link to a BIOS 1.5 (http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/CS-PCI-E_2_0_x8_Configuration.html) but that's for RAID mode I think. Based on this info 1.2 would be out of date and would be a RAID firmware. Woohoo for the mess! LOL.

Hopefully all of this makes sense. ;) This is a mess to deal with.

JohnKnee

Dabbler
The 2720sgl and 2720 cards are exactly the same except the latter comes with 2 x SF8087 cables. Highpoint has changed their site so many times it is amazing. Also I hate the fact that there is no documentation on what has changed between driver versions etc.

Anyhow after this card came out, the new version 1.2 drivers were made available in both a raid and non-raid version. Only by flashing the card to the non-raid version did it work in Freenas with the FreeBSD drivers on their site. I can only find this info now on their china website here. The american site has the new info you have found.

Since then two other drivers have been released for the card. A version 1.5 for the Raid version and a version 4.0.0.1808 for the non-raid version but there is no documentation on what is different between 1.2 and this. I have not tried this new version based on experience by berryjw, where he was unable to flash the firmware on his card. Also since version 1.2 worked for me I thought why fix it if it aint broke.

I will try the latest FreeNAS 8.3-nightly build (later today) in case the beta 1 did not include ticket 1496 fixes. Is there anyway to see if that driver is included in the FreeNas install (ie location or directory)?

If that does not work, I will install FreeBSD 8.3 to see if the card natively works and do as you suggested.

Thanks again

PS. the latest nightly build did not work.....will try FreeBSD 8.3 next.

JohnKnee

Dabbler
Some FU to noobsauce80 suggestions.

I tried the latest nightly yesterday (FreeNAS-8.3.1-ALPHA-r12073-x86.img.xz) on a new usb drive and it did not natively identify the RR 2720. So I logged into FN and manually tried to load hpt27xx.ko and got the "no such file or directory exits."

Downloaded the FreeBSD 8.3 release img and put on another usb drive. Loaded up my system and some hope (sorry did not know how to save the dmesg output). The card is identified but 'no driver attached' scenario. I booted up into the loader prompt and manually loaded the hpt27xx.ko and viola...it worked sort of. The card is now identified but as the boot up process is trying to identify the drives attached there was some error messages.

I went to the FreeBSD forum and looked through the last 30 forum pages and found that sometimes the Rocket Raid cards require the 'ahci.ko" module to be loaded as well. So I tried loading both the hpt27xx.ko and ahci.ko modules at the FreeBSD 8.3 boot loader prompt and everything worked. My 2720 card and all attached drives were recognized with no error messages.:D

So I restarted my NAS with the latest nightly image, setup SSH and then manually transfered the hpt27xx.ko and ahci.ko files (extracted from FreeBSD 8.3) into the /boot/kernel and /boot/modules directory. Unfortunately trying to kldload them results in 'Exec format error'.

So this is where I am stuck now. From above it appears that even though ticket 1496 suggests that the hpt27xx.ko driver is in FreeNas 8.3 it is not. Also the ahci.ko driver may also need to be included. I will try to reopen that ticket if possible (first time for everything).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I can tell you that the hpt27xx.ko driver is absolutely definitely included in FreeNAS 8.3. But, based on your feedback it looks like ahci.ko may be needed also(or at least updated to the 8.3 edition?)

I do know that I got the 'Exec format error' but I don't know exactly what it means besides "It won't work". LOL. I had the same issue with hptiop.ko.

I do know that the GENERIC kernel file for FreeBSD 8.3 that is used to compile FreeNAS doesn't load ahci.ko or hpt27xx.ko, but NOTES does mention hpt27xx.ko. I'm not sure what the difference is between NOTES and GENERIC. I'm thinking since ahci.ko isn't included that's part of the problem(as you've figured out). There may be a technical reason why ahci.ko doesn't load as a kernel driver, so the fix may be "sucks to be you". I'm not really sure. The little bit of reading I've done makes me wonder why any harddisk controller WOULDN'T want to load as a kernel driver(they're supposed to be faster).

What I'd recommend you do is open a ticket(or reopen the old ticket) and include all of the information you have found. In particular include the FreeBSD version and build number of FreeNAS that you used and what you found. Include what you did and how you got it working. Include in the ticket that after they make their fix you would like to test the fix in the nightly build to ensure the problem is fixed once and for all. Try to separate facts from opinions. You don't want to lead the programmer down the wrong path ;) Let the programmer determine the best way to fix it. He'll certainly know more than us since we're just looking at a cause/effect.

JohnKnee

Dabbler
FU part II......I am such a noob.

I spent most of today and figured out the 'Exec format error'. I was using the x64 driver on a x86 system by mistake:o. I had downloaded so many images that I booted up the wrong usb key with the x86 image instead of the x64 image.....so that part is solved and the hpt27xx driver does load up.

as for the hpt27xx driver being included in FreeNas 8.3, I have to take your word for it but this is what I get in the dmesg output (necessary bits only) natively in FreeNAS-8.3.1-ALPHA-r12073-x64.

Code:
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: pcib0:  port 0xcf8-0xcff on acpi0
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: pci0:  on pcib0
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: pcib1:  at device 1.0 on pci0
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: pci1:  on pcib1
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: vgapci0:  port 0xae00-0xaeff mem 0xd8000000-0xdfffffff,0xfdfe0000-0xfdfeffff,0xfde00000-0xfdefffff irq 18 at device 5.0 on pci1
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: pci1:  at device 5.1 (no driver attached)
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: pcib2:  irq 18 at device 2.0 on pci0
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: pci2:  on pcib2
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: pci2:  at device 0.0 (no driver attached)
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: pcib3:  irq 19 at device 3.0 on pci0
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: pci3:  on pcib3
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: pci3:  at device 0.0 (no driver attached)
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: pcib4:  irq 17 at device 5.0 on pci0
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: pci4:  on pcib4
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: pci4:  at device 0.0 (no driver attached)
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: pcib5:  irq 18 at device 10.0 on pci0
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: pci5:  on pcib5
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: re0:  port 0xbe00-0xbeff mem 0xfd2ff000-0xfd2fffff,0xfd2f8000-0xfd2fbfff irq 18 at device 0.0 on pci5
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ahci0:  port 0xff00-0xff07,0xfe00-0xfe03,0xfd00-0xfd07,0xfc00-0xfc03,0xfb00-0xfb0f mem 0xfe02f000-0xfe02f3ff irq 19 at device 17.0 on pci0
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ahci0: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ahci0: AHCI v1.20 with 4 6Gbps ports, Port Multiplier supported
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ahcich0:  at channel 0 on ahci0
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ahcich0: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ahcich1:  at channel 1 on ahci0
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ahcich1: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ahcich2:  at channel 2 on ahci0
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ahcich2: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ahcich3:  at channel 3 on ahci0
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ahcich3: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: pci0:  at device 20.0 (no driver attached)
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: atapci0:  port 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6,0x170-0x177,0x376,0xfa00-0xfa0f at device 20.1 on pci0
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ata0:  at channel 0 on atapci0
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ata0: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ata1:  at channel 1 on atapci0
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ata1: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: pci0:  at device 20.2 (no driver attached)
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: isab0:  at device 20.3 on pci0
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: isa0:  on isab0
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: pcib6:  at device 20.4 on pci0
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: pci6:  on pcib6
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ohci2:  mem 0xfe02a000-0xfe02afff irq 18 at device 20.5 on pci0
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ohci2: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: usbus4:  on ohci2
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: pcib7:  at device 21.0 on pci0
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: pci7:  on pcib7
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ahci1:  mem 0xfd5fe000-0xfd5fffff irq 17 at device 0.0 on pci7
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ahci1: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ahci1: AHCI v1.00 with 2 3Gbps ports, Port Multiplier supported
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ahcich4:  at channel 0 on ahci1
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ahcich4: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ahcich5:  at channel 1 on ahci1
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ahcich5: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: atapci1:  port 0x8f00-0x8f07,0x8e00-0x8e03,0x8d00-0x8d07,0x8c00-0x8c03,0x8b00-0x8b0f irq 17 at device 0.1 on pci7
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: atapci1: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ata2:  at channel 0 on atapci1
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ata2: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ohci3:  mem 0xfe029000-0xfe029fff irq 18 at device 22.0 on pci0
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ohci3: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ada0 at ahcich3 bus 0 scbus3 target 0 lun 0
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ada0:  ATA-8 SATA 3.x device
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ada0: 600.000MB/s transfers (SATA 3.x, UDMA6, PIO 8192bytes)
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ada0: Command Queueing enabled
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: ada0: 1907729MB (3907029168 512 byte sectors: 16H 63S/T 16383C)
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus9 target 0 lun 0
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: da0:  Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device 
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
Aug 12 20:04:53 freenas kernel: da0: 7645MB (15656960 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 974C)

Now if I load the FreeBSD 8.3 extracted hpt27xx.ko and load it as a tunable, I get this output and all my drives are identified and available.

Code:
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: hpt27xx: RocketRAID 27xx controller driver v1.0 (Apr  9 2012 21:22:08)
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: pcib0:  port 0xcf8-0xcff on acpi0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: pci0:  on pcib0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: pcib1:  at device 1.0 on pci0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: pci1:  on pcib1
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: vgapci0:  port 0xae00-0xaeff mem 0xd8000000-0xdfffffff,0xfdfe0000-0xfdfeffff,0xfde00000-0xfdefffff irq 18 at device 5.0 on pci1
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: pci1:  at device 5.1 (no driver attached)
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: pcib2:  irq 18 at device 2.0 on pci0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: pci2:  on pcib2
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: hpt27xx0:  mem 0xfddc0000-0xfdddffff,0xfdd80000-0xfddbffff irq 18 at device 0.0 on pci2
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: hpt27xx: adapter at PCI 2:0:0, IRQ 18
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: pcib3:  irq 19 at device 3.0 on pci0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: pci3:  on pcib3
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: hpt27xx1:  mem 0xfdbc0000-0xfdbdffff,0xfdb80000-0xfdbbffff irq 19 at device 0.0 on pci3
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: hpt27xx: adapter at PCI 3:0:0, IRQ 19
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: pcib4:  irq 17 at device 5.0 on pci0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: pci4:  on pcib4
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: pci4:  at device 0.0 (no driver attached)
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: pcib5:  irq 18 at device 10.0 on pci0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: pci5:  on pcib5
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: re0:  port 0xbe00-0xbeff mem 0xfd2ff000-0xfd2fffff,0xfd2f8000-0xfd2fbfff irq 18 at device 0.0 on pci5
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ahci0:  port 0xff00-0xff07,0xfe00-0xfe03,0xfd00-0xfd07,0xfc00-0xfc03,0xfb00-0xfb0f mem 0xfe02f000-0xfe02f3ff irq 19 at device 17.0 on pci0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ahci0: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ahci0: AHCI v1.20 with 4 6Gbps ports, Port Multiplier supported
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ahcich0:  at channel 0 on ahci0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ahcich0: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ahcich1:  at channel 1 on ahci0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ahcich1: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ahcich2:  at channel 2 on ahci0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ahcich2: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ahcich3:  at channel 3 on ahci0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ahcich3: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ohci0:  mem 0xfe02e000-0xfe02efff irq 18 at device 18.0 on pci0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ohci0: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: usbus0:  on ohci0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ehci0:  mem 0xfe02d000-0xfe02d0ff irq 17 at device 18.2 on pci0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ehci0: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: usbus1: EHCI version 1.0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: usbus1:  on ehci0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ohci1:  mem 0xfe02c000-0xfe02cfff irq 18 at device 19.0 on pci0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ohci1: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: pci0:  at device 20.0 (no driver attached)
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: atapci0:  port 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6,0x170-0x177,0x376,0xfa00-0xfa0f at device 20.1 on pci0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ata0:  at channel 0 on atapci0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ata0: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ata1:  at channel 1 on atapci0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ata1: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: pci0:  at device 20.2 (no driver attached)
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: isab0:  at device 20.3 on pci0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: isa0:  on isab0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: pcib6:  at device 20.4 on pci0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: pci6:  on pcib6
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ohci2:  mem 0xfe02a000-0xfe02afff irq 18 at device 20.5 on pci0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ohci2: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: usbus4:  on ohci2
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: pcib7:  at device 21.0 on pci0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: pci7:  on pcib7
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ahci1:  mem 0xfd5fe000-0xfd5fffff irq 17 at device 0.0 on pci7
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ahci1: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ahci1: AHCI v1.00 with 2 3Gbps ports, Port Multiplier supported
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ahcich4:  at channel 0 on ahci1
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ahcich4: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ahcich5:  at channel 1 on ahci1
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ahcich5: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: atapci1:  port 0x8f00-0x8f07,0x8e00-0x8e03,0x8d00-0x8d07,0x8c00-0x8c03,0x8b00-0x8b0f irq 17 at device 0.1 on pci7
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: atapci1: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ata2:  at channel 0 on atapci1
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ata2: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ohci3:  mem 0xfe029000-0xfe029fff irq 18 at device 22.0 on pci0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ohci3: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: hpt27xx: Attached device index 00 (Path 03 | Target 00 | E0/Sff)  00000000
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: hpt27xx: Attached device index 40 (Path 07 | Target 00 | E0/Sff)  00000000
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: hpt27xx: Attached device index 00 (Path 03 | Target 00 | E0/Sff)  00000000
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: hpt27xx: Attached device index 40 (Path 07 | Target 00 | E0/Sff)  00000000
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: hpt27xx0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: hpt27xx0: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: hpt27xx1: [GIANT-LOCKED]
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: hpt27xx1: [ITHREAD]
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ada0 at ahcich3 bus 0 scbus3 target 0 lun 0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ada0:  ATA-8 SATA 3.x device
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ada0: 600.000MB/s transfers (SATA 3.x, UDMA6, PIO 8192bytes)
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ada0: Command Queueing enabled
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: ada0: 1907729MB (3907029168 512 byte sectors: 16H 63S/T 16383C)
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: da0 at hpt27xx0 bus 0 scbus9 target 0 lun 0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: da0:  Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device 
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: da0: 1907729MB (3907029168 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 243201C)
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: da1 at hpt27xx0 bus 0 scbus9 target 1 lun 0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: da1:  Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device 
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: da1: 1907729MB (3907029168 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 243201C)
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: da2 at hpt27xx0 bus 0 scbus10 target 0 lun 0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: da2:  Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device 
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: da2: 1907729MB (3907029168 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 243201C)
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: da3 at hpt27xx0 bus 0 scbus10 target 1 lun 0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: da3:  Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device 
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: da3: 1907729MB (3907029168 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 243201C)
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: da4 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus11 target 0 lun 0
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: da4:  Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device 
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: da4: 40.000MB/s transfers
Aug 12 18:36:10 freenas kernel: da4: 7645MB (15656960 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 974C)

As for the ahci.ko driver, I don't think it loads as a tunable. If I try to load it manually via shell, it does not load as I continue to get the 'Exec format error' and the console shows 'interface ahci.1 already present in the KLD 'kernel' !'. The ahci driver I am trying to load is version 4 I think. When I load this driver in FreeBSD 8.3 the 'no driver attached' in the pci output is gone.

As for reopening the ticket, i tried to reopen it but the only option I could see was to add a comment to the #1496 ticket so I did. I asked the developers to see this thread so I hope it works.

Once again thanks for you help noobsauce80:)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You reopen the ticket by creating an account, then go to "modify ticket". There will be a radio button for "reopen".

JohnKnee

Dabbler
Well thanks to noobsauce80 I was able to reopen ticket 1496 and yes the driver was not enabled in the FreeNas kernel. This is now fixed as of r12076.

Thank you developers. I will test this out as soon as I get a chance. So for now if you are on FreeNas 8.0.x or 8.2.x the only way to get the RR2720 card working is by adding the driver as a tunable or following this thread here.

Otherwise try the latest nightly that is at least r12076 or later.:cool:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Outstanding!

My biggest gripe with FreeNAS is the lack of good lists of comprehensive controllers that work. We have a few good links to some lists of controllers that work, but it would be nice to have a comprehensive list of controllers that do and don't. I had 4 controllers(all of them Highpoint) and although they "should" have worked, none of them did until I realized the limitations and driver issues that I fixed.

JohnKnee

Dabbler
I can confirm that the latest nightly (FreeNAS-8.3.1-ALPHA-r12085) works for me and my RR 2720sgl is recognized natively. All my drives are identified. I just had to auto import my volume and that was it.:cool:

Thanks again to the developers.

ShaharHD

Dabbler
Sorry to bring this thread back to life...

My RR2720SGL is also working outside the box with 8.3.0 & now 8.3.0-p1.
what bothers me is that the smartctl fails to read the drives data (so no serial number and no smart status...)

[root@oz] /# smartctl -aT permissive /dev/da1
smartctl 5.43 2012-06-30 r3573 [FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE-p5 amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-12 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

Vendor: HPT
Product: DISK 0_1
Revision: 4.00
User Capacity: 3,000,592,982,016 bytes [3.00 TB]
Logical block size: 512 bytes
(pass9:hpt27xx0:0:1:0): MODE SENSE(6). CDB: 1a 0 1c 0 40 0
(pass9:hpt27xx0:0:1:0): CAM status: CCB request was invalid
>> Terminate command early due to bad response to IEC mode page
(pass9:hpt27xx0:0:1:0): LOG SENSE. CDB: 4d 0 40 0 0 0 0 0 4 0
(pass9:hpt27xx0:0:1:0): REQUEST SENSE. CDB: 3 0 0 0 12 0
(pass9:hpt27xx0:0:1:0): READ DEFECT DATA(10). CDB: 37 0 c 0 0 0 0 0 4 0
Read defect list: asked for grown list but didn't get it

Error Counter logging not supported
(pass9:hpt27xx0:0:1:0): MODE SENSE(6). CDB: 1a 0 a 0 40 0
Device does not support Self Test logging
[root@oz] /#

my question is the regarding the following ko: hpt27xx

is it the same as rr272x_1x found on hp website?
http://www.highpoint-tech.com/BIOS_Driver/rr272x_1x/FreeBSD/v1.0.10.0719/rr272x_1x-bsd-8.0-v1.0.10.0719.tgz

will it conflict with the kernel hptiop or the existing hpt27xx?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I think the version FreeNAS is using is newer. The file you linked is dated 2010 and the hptrr27xx driver included with windows is stamped 12-28-2011 in most of the files.

If you attempt to load a driver that shares the same signature(not sure exactly what signature it uses.. but its not the file name) then the kldload command will return with an error to the effect of "driver already loaded".

The hptiop and hpt27xx drivers can be run side by side and will not conflict.

ShaharHD

Dabbler
so... I'll get double the devices in /dev ?
or will it corrupt my ZFS?

I'll detach the volume take the slots out and put new ones in, to test and see what happens :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
so... I'll get double the devices in /dev ?
or will it corrupt my ZFS?

I'll detach the volume take the slots out and put new ones in, to test and see what happens :)

No, nothing happens. Since the hptrr27xx driver is already loaded when you try to load the other driver it won't work. You get the error and go back to a command line. If you want to remove the hptrr27xx you'll have to recompile the FreeNAS kernel to not load that driver at startup.

I tried to do this when I was having problems with the hptiop driver. Code was submitted by me to add support for the 24 port RocketRAID 3560. For some reason Highpoint never added support for that card so I fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.