High-performing NAS/Media Distribution Server

r0nski2000

Dabbler
I didn't make QoS changes to the default dd-wrt settings (I believe QoS is off by default).
Granted, I have a different ("main") router which provides wifi for some of our devices, so not all the load is on the secondary router, which connects the nas to the "streaming clients" (we don't have the need for more than one at a time right now).
But overall, I would expect any decent router to be able to stream 4k, of course assuming that there are no wifi congestion issues and that the material bitrate is "reasonable" - 4k uhd disk material tops out at 128Mbit/s.
I would expect that there might be issues with throughput consistency - my shieldtv has wifi issues, but I have configured Kodi with 400MB buffer and that helps, although I don't have that option on my oppo player - but the oppo doesn't need it either.

southwow

Contributor
I wired my entire house with CAT6a two years ago due to constantly conflicting with neighborhood routers. At any given time, I could see 20+ and every channel was full in 2.4 and 5 gigahertz. When 802.11AC worked for me, it was good... unfortunately that was about 30% of the time. Felt like building a Faraday cage around my house.

I'm looking at grabbing a better NIC for the FreeNAS server, but haven't had the time.

I'm glad to hear somebody is having some success with wifi!