BUILD High level of data security on a Low budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjws00

Guru
@cyberjock Heh. I thought he was doing a pretty decent job of trying to not only follow the warnings, but also your hardware sticky.

@DGX More ram is always going to be better. I paid little attention to that spec, simply because I don't know your workload. Rules of thumb on GB per TB of storage are more complicated than sometimes assumed. That can work in your favor, or against you, imho. I often assume (YEP @SS U ME) that cost cutters are pursuing media loads, and lightly accessed even rarely accessed files. So we have random and "one-off" sequential loads with little chance of hitting our cache. If there was a place where ARC matters least... that is it.

You'll note I don't mind offering an opinion on 'optimal' disk numbers and recommended testing, power supplies and hardware etc. I refrained from commenting one way or another on the memory discussion. I don't disagree with pharfar, but do see the problem as more intricate. In theory 8GB min... blah blah blah. In practice RAM is maxed on my board for good reason and I would double it if I could. ;)

16GB is a pretty well known sweet spot. But I will admit, that I was pretty certain I'd seen cyber comment that 8GB should be stable... though not necessarily great for performance. But unlikely to randomly drop a pool like <8GB. He is welcome to correct me on that.

Reactions: DGX

DGX

Cadet
Its for backup purposes - more or less a glorified external hard drive that has more data security... thus very low load. occasional media streaming without transcoding.

I have just lost several TBs of data, which is why I'm building it. If I had more money I would prefer to spend it on a my workstation, because that is where speed really counts for me. Still trying to find instances where people are losing pools because they only had 8GBs of RAM.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The rule of thumb can be softened on the "1GB per TB" side of things. 8GB is the minimum round value that's been proven to be stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.