Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookandbook

Cadet
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to say HI after a year of lurking and making hardware mistakes I finally broke the bank and purchased hardware recommended in the guide. Assembling tonight and hopefully by tomorrow i will have something totally broken!

X10SL7-F
E3-1230v3
32 gigs Ecc
(7) Western Digital red 3TB HDD's

All in an old 2U server case from Craigslist. Still looking for recommendations on a good power supply if anyone has any...

Thanks!

gpsguy

Welcome to the forums. And, thanks for lurking on the forum, reading the guides, etc. before making an informed choice.

Seasonic makes some nice power supplies. I'm sure @Ericloewe will chime in with a model number.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Welcome :)

Yep, I recommend SeaSonic too. The G-360 for example is a good match for this server ;)

You might want to upgrade in the future so if you plan to add serveral drives you can take a PSU a bit more powerful (450W for example).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If a standard ATX PSU fits (not a given in a rackmount chassis, especially a 2U), a Seasonic G-450 would be a good starting point. If you want to go beyond 12-13 drives, a G-550 would be a good choice. If you need more than 550W, consider moving up to an X-Series or X-Series Platinum, as the price difference isn't very big at equal power ratings.

Hookandbook

Cadet
I will look up the Seasonic units thanks for the recommendations. I have been using whatever power supply I have had laying around for the last two Freenas machines I have built Thermaltake TR-600W and a corsair CX750 I figured they are not the best units to use for a machine that is on 24/7.

Bidule0hm

"I figured they are not the best units to use for a machine that is on 24/7." Clearly not. I have a CX-500 on the desktop and I can see through the vents that Corsair uses Capxon branded caps... SeaSonic uses far higher quality caps (Panasonic, etc.).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
"I figured they are not the best units to use for a machine that is on 24/7." Clearly not. I have a CX-500 on the desktop and I can see through the vents that Corsair uses Capxon branded caps... SeaSonic uses far higher quality caps (Panasonic, etc.).

The CX-750 (not sure if the regular or modular one) didn't even pass testing at HardOCP a few weeks ago. The lower wattages are ok PSUs, though, but not great.
My Seasonics have all been rock solid.

Bidule0hm

Yeah, it's a shame from Corsair to make such low quality PSUs. I definitely lost any confidence in them.

Hookandbook

Cadet
Yeah The inside of the Thermaltake TR-600 looks like one of those radioshack build your own transistor radio kits

Status
Not open for further replies.