Hi, I'm new here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAC_Addy

Dabbler
Good afternoon, people!

I'm new to Freenas - I just got it installed a couple of nights ago, got my storage up and running and have been reading through the installation document. However, when attempting to navigate to my NAS, which is located at \\192.168.42.81\share I get a message (in windows) "Windows Cannot Access \\192.168.42.81". I can ping the box, I can get to it via CLI. I have setup a username/password to access the share, but it never prompts me to enter a username/password. When I try to map a drive, I checked the box to “connect using different credentials”.

I ran wireshark to see what was going on. In the packet capture I could see my initiated pings, but when I kill that and try to map or navigate through Start>Run, I don't see any traffic go to the NAS itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

majerus

Contributor
Is the smb service running? Can you provide a screenshots of how you have things configured?

MAC_Addy

Dabbler
Is the smb service running? Can you provide a screenshots of how you have things configured?
Apologies, I meant to add that the SMB service is running correctly. I also tried it (last night) from my wife's laptop which is a Macbook Pro. The share seems to work connecting through SMB. So, I am wondering if it's my PC that is the issue?

For screenshots, I'll post those later as I'm at work, not at home.

majerus

Contributor
Sometimes I also recycle the SMB service following changes that might be worth a shot.

MAC_Addy

Dabbler
Sometimes I also recycle the SMB service following changes that might be worth a shot.
I tried that a whole bunch of times, unfortunately it didn't work. I also tried a few articles that I found online. One of them enabling the lanman service in Windows. That didn't fix it either.

In regards to screenshots, what would you like to see?

WookieCookie

Dabbler
What version of FreeNAS are you running? I've noticed on 11.2-RC2 the "wheel" group needs to be added to the user in order for SMB clients to have access to the share on Windows 10.

MAC_Addy

Dabbler
What version of FreeNAS are you running? I've noticed on 11.2-RC2 the "wheel" group needs to be added to the user in order for SMB clients to have access to the share on Windows 10.
I'm running that exact version. I'll give that a try when I get home. Are there specific permissions within that group that is different to creating your own group?

I did notice last night after running a packet capture that my desktop negotiates SMB, I get a reply from the NAS, and then the packet drops.

WookieCookie

Dabbler
FYI: 11.2-RC2 is still in testing and isn't a real "stable" build make sure any data you're putting on your NAS is also backed up and continue to do backups.

Wheel from my understanding in FreeNAS is a root permission level group, but it does give the user execute permissions which are needed for SMB and windows. Wheel shouldn't be needed to access an SMB share but I haven't found another workaround or solution as of yet, I'm not sure if it's a bug or something I don't understand about permissions in FreeNAS, but it has worked on two different boxes that have the shared dataset permissions set to windows.

Edit: If that doesn't work or you would like to continue chatting about it go ahead and make another post in the /Help & Support/Sharing section :smile:

Last edited:

MAC_Addy

Dabbler
FYI: 11.2-RC2 is still in testing and isn't a real "stable" build make sure any data you're putting on your NAS is also backed up and continue to do backups.

Wheel from my understanding in FreeNAS is a root permission level group, but it does give the user execute permissions which are needed for SMB and windows. Wheel shouldn't be needed to access an SMB share but I haven't found another workaround or solution as of yet, I'm not sure if it's a bug or something I don't understand about permissions in FreeNAS, but it has worked on two different boxes that have the shared dataset permissions set to windows.

Edit: If that doesn't work or you would like to continue chatting about it go ahead and make another post in the /Help & Support/Sharing section :)
I really appreciate it!

Honestly, I don't have any data on it at all since I can't really access it yet. I'm going to downgrade to a different version. It does appear that 11.1 is a good version. Though, I have seen a lot of people use 9.3. Do you have a version that you can recommend?

majerus

Contributor
I really appreciate it!

Honestly, I don't have any data on it at all since I can't really access it yet. I'm going to downgrade to a different version. It does appear that 11.1 is a good version. Though, I have seen a lot of people use 9.3. Do you have a version that you can recommend?
11.1 u6 is good.

WookieCookie

Dabbler
I don't have enough experience with 9.3 to make a recommendation someone else might have a better idea, but you would have to ask that question in another part of the forums to get a few responses. Most likely you will be told "it really depends on what you want out of your system and what you intend to use it for", if you want to run jails for plex, openvpn, backuppc, ect warden has been deprecated and iocage is the replacement you can get them to work on 11.1-U6 but only via the beta UI or CLI (always do it via the GUI if you can).

pro lamer

Guru
11.2 release has arrived recently but treat my post as a sanity chime in, since I am not experienced enough to recommend 9.x over 11.1 or 11.2 or the opposite or any other combination ;)

Sent from my mobile phone

Status
Not open for further replies.