SMB Guest Access Share still prompting for credentials

Afroman124

Cadet
I have a dataset that has the user and group set to 'nobody'. I have a windows share for that datasetset set to guest access and only allow guest access. However when I navigate to that path in Windows, it still prompts me for a username and password.

Attachments

• Capture(1).PNG
    Capture(1).PNG
    25.3 KB · Views: 328
  • Capture(2).PNG
    Capture(2).PNG
    31.9 KB · Views: 335
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    16.3 KB · Views: 323

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have a dataset that has the user and group set to 'nobody'. I have a windows share for that datasetset set to guest access and only allow guest access. However when I navigate to that path in Windows, it still prompts me for a username and password.

Guest access basically doesn't work as intended in newer versions of Windows. Historically, the way that samba would provide guest access is by re-mapping "bad users" (i.e. ones that don't exist as local user accounts) to the SMB guest account. Newer versions of client OSes from Microsoft and Apple no longer allow this to happen. The session will be automatically dropped if the client requests an authenticated session and receives a guest session instead. You can modify the windows registry to allow insecure guest sessions, but I think it's better to just switch to using authenticated access.

This might be the reason why you can't access the share, or it might be that permissions on /mnt/storage are incorrect.