Hi from the Algarve in Portugal

Status
Not open for further replies.

nasnice

Explorer
Hi All,

Encountered Freenas on the Tweakers.net forum and started one month ago to build a simple server for Video and Music.... Using release 9.2.1.5 with 8 GB Ram, 3x3TB WD Red and a tweakers NAS config with a Celeron G1820@2.7Ghz.

Love the speed and simplicity.. (until know)

I would very much like to know if there are any more users of FreeNAS here in the Algarve,,, Please reply...

2 know more than 1....

Am 58 Retired ex PDP/Vax technician ended up als manager... Still Love the Field though...

Regards and Thanks for the makers of this excellent product from

Fred

gpsguy

Fred,

Welcome to the forums!

Ericloewe, one of our active members, lists Portugal as his location.

Geez, a PDP/Vax technician. Do you have a gold key on your keyboard? Many years ago, I had an ALL-IN-1 account and used a terminal program (Procomm?) on my pc to access it. The instructions I had were written for someone with a terminal. I didn't have a gold key on *my* keyboard.

nasnice

Explorer
Hi gpsguy,

Gold key... nah never used it just made sure it worked... The Gold, or PF1, Key was mainly used in editing to provide shortcuts to advanced formatting functions. I am one of those guys that soldered your new optocouplers in whenever there had been lightning somewhere.. Procomm yeah used that as well in he good old BBS days... I think Procomm could emulate a VT50 with the Functions keys as well. W'eve come a long way sice then...

Eric Loewe does not sound Portuguese.... But like me he may be living the dream here...

Thanks for the heads up!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hi gpsguy,

Gold key... nah never used it just made sure it worked... The Gold, or PF1, Key was mainly used in editing to provide shortcuts to advanced formatting functions. I am one of those guys that soldered your new optocouplers in whenever there had been lightning somewhere.. Procomm yeah used that as well in he good old BBS days... I think Procomm could emulate a VT50 with the Functions keys as well. W'eve come a long way sice then...

Eric Loewe does not sound Portuguese.... But like me he may be living the dream here...

Thanks for the heads up!

On the contrary, I am quite Portuguese. Welcome to the forums!

nasnice

Explorer
Hi Eric, Thanks for the heads up! I apologize for thinking you were not from Portugal... Reading the name I gathered you had german heritage..?

Any way from your posts I gather you know your way around here and inside a NAS as well. In what part of the country do you live?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hi Eric, Thanks for the heads up! I apologize for thinking you were not from Portugal... In what part of the country do you live?

No need to apologize, and I live in Lisbon.

Any way from your posts I gather you know your way around here and inside a NAS as well.

Don't be deceived, I'm still early in the learning phase. My server has literally only been running since yesterday! Before that, I'd only hastily and temporarily converted my old server (WHS 2011) to test the new hard drives. Everything else was theory and no practice.

crisman

Explorer
Hello "nasnice",

Welcome to the forum and Freenas, I'm also Portuguese and I live near Santa Maria da Feira, I've been using Freenas since 2010 but only been registered on this forum since 2012. I've built until now 4 Freenas Server's, two of them are mine and the other two are for some friends and I've been loving the experience.

;)

Last edited:

nasnice

Explorer
Hi Crisman,

Sorry for the Late reply am travelling... In the Netherlands now...

So santa Maria da Feira is near...?

Any of you guys use ECC Memory?

crisman

Explorer
Hi nasnice,

no its not! Is near PORTO, around 25 km away.
In 3 of my builds I use ECC memory, on the other one I don't and I've been using Freenas on this one for more than 2 years without any problem but it doesn't mean that I shouldn't use ECC memory.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.