Hi from Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchin

Cadet
Hi All,

I’m new to FreeNAS. Started with a D-Link DNS-323. I am currently using a WD myCloud as my NAS. Looking for a larger NAS set up. I use Macs and PCs My knowledge is mainly UNIX and a little Linux.

I'm a software developer. I am not really a hardware guy. But I have built PCs in the past.

I have been checking the forums to figure out how to build a FreeNAS. Decided to register.

Looking into the following set up.
  • Motherboard: Supermicro MDB-X11SSM-F-O
  • CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 V5 or V6
  • Memory: 16-32 GB
  • HDD: 4 x HGST DeskStar NAS 3.5" 6TB
  • PSU: Corsair RM650x
I mainly have a need for a bigger and more responsive NAS. Planning to initially store files and to provide a backup repository. Later planning to add a web server, media server and a cloud server.

I am having problems finding compatible memory in Canada. I will check what is in the forum for hardware ideas.

gpsguy

Welcome to the forums! Stay warm today.

I live in the US, where it's a couple of degrees (F) colder than Toronto this morning.

Unfortunately, there's a RAM shortage for DDR4 memory. Prices have skyrocketed.

I am having problems finding compatible memory in Canada.

jchin

Cadet
Thanks. I am staying warm.

We had a white Christmas this year.

I haven't seen prices and scarcity for a long time, but I have always purchased desktop memory. I am not able to find any memory from the QVL. Even looked at into Crucial memory. Now I am checking out Kingston memory. Waiting for a confirmation from support the memory available in the market will work for the X11SSM-F-O. I cannot build my FreeNAS without memory. So my hunt continues. Maybe I will have to try one of my old Desktop motherboards.

jchin

Cadet
I spoke to Kingston. They say

Kingston ValueRAM 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4 2400 RAM (Server Memory) ECC DIMM (288-Pin) KVR24E17D8/16

will work. I will pick up 2 sticks.

I will post my config on the forum an ask some questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.