Hi all steve here

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve001

Dabbler
Hi Steve here from uk here looking forward to having a go with free nas looks exciting

Steve

gpsguy

Welcome to the forum! Please read the manual and the forum stickies, before installing/configuring FreeNAS.

BTW, I just [within the past 90 minutes] got home (USA) from a 10 day "holiday" in England and Scotland. We enjoyed our visit, but it's nice to be home.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I agree with gpsguy. If you read the manual and the stickies you will be off to a great start! The stickies are mostly written from experience and will prevent you from making mistakes plenty of others have done themselves.

steve001

Dabbler
thanks guys , been looking on you tube too found some good stuff on there,

gpsguy glad you enjoyed your vist :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
See the forum sticky in the hardware section. Also see the manual for a link to the hardware compatibility matrix for FreeBSD/FreeNAS.

Nomad

Contributor
I can tell you from my playing around with it.

Doesn't work well with 32-bit, so 64-bit procs all the way.
Watch your Single Core Speed if you are using it for home use to a windows device.
Issues with the newest Haswel Intel Nics, one in my sig.

Everything below is based on my 1 week of running so take it as it is.
I don't need 32GB of ram. I will be downgrading to 16GB and saving more money on my build.
I have a 6GB Pool so 4GB+6GB=10 so 16GB it is.
I run a Plex NAS so it's only used for streaming and redundancy.
Including my drives I have spend a total of $550 on this system. More != better.
I believe in the rule of 4+1GB Ram ~ 1TB of Storage. So plan for according for your first upgrade (Disks)
Getting a full 1Gbit is great, means your network isn't your bottleneck but if you are on a budget build for your needs

I have streamed full BluRay to 6 clients with this, each core in my dev system wasn't close to maxed, nor was the network card so think about that if you are mostly streaming. This was with Plex Media Server doing whatever it does as well.

More important, again. Build for your needs and not the best of the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.