Help ZFS Deduplication

Status
Not open for further replies.

mendofh

Cadet
I installed FreeNAS 8.4 Beta 3 to see how to run ZFS Deduplication, put some files in some folders repeated. When I used to check the ability of deduplication Volumes realized that had not worked.
Anyone know how to configure deduplication?

tanks

fracai

Guru
Did you enable dedup on your dataset? Read this. Pay special attention to the note under Table 6.3a.

Consider that:
You very likely don't have the RAM to handle deduplication.
You very likely won't have enough duplicated blocks to actually see any benefit from deduplication. (What's your use case for this?)
You'd very likely see much more benefit from simply enabling compression. (Again, what's your use case? Even compression is likely best enabled only on specific datasets.)

mendofh

Cadet
Did you enable dedup on your dataset? Read this. Pay special attention to the note under Table 6.3a.

Consider that:
You very likely don't have the RAM to handle deduplication.
You very likely won't have enough duplicated blocks to actually see any benefit from deduplication. (What's your use case for this?)
You'd very likely see much more benefit from simply enabling compression. (Again, what's your use case? Even compression is likely best enabled only on specific datasets.)

I did, I did a test with 3 duplicate files with 1gb in different folders ... I accessed the admin page> "View Volume" and saw that the consumption of the disk was 3.0 GiB

Status
Not open for further replies.