Help with ZFS performance. Another one of those ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparx

Contributor
Well. The adaptec works. HBA setting on it. But the write performance is now down to 90MB/s. Read somewhere that only LSI is supported more or less. Damn.
So it seems I can either choose between fast performance and instability on another OS or slow performance but stable with freenas. Choices choices.

Sparx

Contributor
Read performance with adaptec card:
Code:
[martin@freenas /mnt/pool/downloads/insert_file_name_here.iso of=/dev/null bs=1M
3352+1 records in
3352+1 records out
3515868120 bytes transferred in 18.636488 secs (188655082 bytes/sec)

Dice

Wizard
Read performance with adaptec card:
You could help by providing your analysis and conclusion together with cmd outtakes, rather than leaving the reader alone. :)

Is the adaptec better? Worse? indifferent? anything else noticable? Are you happy now? what is the next step?

Sparx

Contributor
Yeah sorry about that. I try to keep the text short and not write too much. The read performance with the adaptec seems to be about 10 times higher than with the LSI. However the write performance is instead lower. That could be because of my tunables. Not sure really. But in any case it kind of shows that my LSI 9300-8i isnt healthy. Perhaps some issue happened with it when i upgraded the firmware. I think i can get my hands on a LSI 9361-8i. Perhaps i should try with that.

Sparx

Contributor
Ai ai ai. I was digging around in my BIOS settings and discovered that the PCIe slot that the HBA uses had the setting of disabled op-rom. So neither legacy nor uefi. That can definitely make some issues with anything that is mounted. Perhaps I should now try that LSI 9300-8i again now. Because now that Adaptec card gets a pretty decent performance in both read and write. At the moment testing legacy oprom. Will try with uefi oprom aswell. And yeah. I went back to corral to look again at it. If i get good enough performance i will run corral until 11.1 or something when dockers are tested out properly in 11. Maybe. =)

Code:
 adaptec card with legacy oprom running on corral with no tunables
[root@freenas] /mnt/pool/downloads/asdf# dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=1M count=100k
102400+0 records in
102400+0 records out
107374182400 bytes transferred in 257.040979 secs (417731767 bytes/sec)

Sparx

Contributor
So efi or legacy for the oprom didnt really make a difference as far as i can tell. I put back the lsi card and now the read performance is much better (150MB/s) now with oprom enabled. Damn server hardware and advanced settings ;) Write so far looks unchanged. Will see if some tunables will make anything better. Perhaps I will try that other LSI raid card later on.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So efi or legacy for the oprom didnt really make a difference as far as i can tell. I put back the lsi card and now the read performance is much better (150MB/s) now with oprom enabled. Damn server hardware and advanced settings ;) Write so far looks unchanged. Will see if some tunables will make anything better. Perhaps I will try that other LSI raid card later on.
If you just set everything to default it will probably work the best. The more you tune things the worse you will make it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sparx

Contributor
Yeah you are right about that. But there is no autotune in corral as far as I can tell. That normally makes some changes at least.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Yeah you are right about that. But there is no autotune in corral as far as I can tell. That normally makes some changes at least.
I just told you not to tune stuff. Auto tune was removed just for this reason, it didn't work. Why do people always think they are right?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sparx

Contributor
Aha.. Alright then.. off to smb testing instead of dd :)

Status
Not open for further replies.