Help with upgrade to 4tb drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccbruno

Cadet
I'm currently running freenas v9.3.1 with RAID Z3 on a SuperMicro server combo - X8ST3-F, i7 920 and 12GB DDR3 RAM with SAS expander - Intel RES2SV240 24 in a Norco 16-bay hotswap chassis and 750 watt Corsair PSU. Currently all 16 bays are filled with 1 TB drives and working beautifully...

I'm running out of space and was wanting to upgrade the drives to 4 TB. The problem is, my board only sees them as 2.2 TB. Is my upgrade just as simple as picking up an IBM M1015 or LSI 9211-8i flashed to IT mode and connecting the SAS expander to that or is a new motherboard in my not so distant future? Or is there another alternative /solution?

Thanks in advance for your help.

tvsjr

Guru
SAS1 devices have issues with drives over 2.2TB. You need to upgrade your expander. What are you using for an HBA currently?

Also consider that you aren't running ECC memory or an ECC-supporting processor, which places your data at risk... and you will likely need to upgrade your memory for best performance. It may be time to consider a new motherboard/processor/memory.

ccbruno

Cadet
Aside from the SAS controller on the motherboard and the Intel RES2SV240 card, nothing else. Hence, why I'm hoping it's as easy as adding one of the above mentioned HBA's to take advantage of the larger drives, (some were bought and some were donated). This is my first attempt at a server running freenas, (well, first attempt at a server period), so I'm expecting to make a few mistakes along the way, (lack of ECC memory being a big one it seems). The data isn't crucial and is backed up, (it's a home server), but that doesn't mean I want to cut corners, (well, not on purpose anyway). I guess it's time to start saving for a replacement motherboard/processor/memory. Will an upgraded expander tide me over until the core can be replaced? I should be able to migrate all of the data over without issues, right?

Thanks again for the quick reply.

tvsjr

Guru
Actually, it looks like your expander is good: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/servers/raid-expander-res2sv240-brief.html
So you just need a SAS2 HBA.

There are people who successfully run systems without ECC memory every day - but it doesn't mean it's a good idea... so yes, you should be preparing to upgrade. The X8 stuff is pretty power-hungry as well. Fortunately, you'll be able to reuse the HBA with a newer motherboard. Migrating the data won't be a problem - you'll just import the config and attach the pool.

ccbruno

Cadet
Sweet!! Thanks for your help. Now to track down a good SAS2 HBA and I'll be in business as I save up for my next upgrade :).

danb35

Hall of Famer
Now to track down a good SAS2 HBA
LSI 9211-8i or one of its rebranded cards (IBM M1015, etc.). Expect around $100US on eBay.

tvsjr

Guru
Keep in mind the 9211-8i and M1015 have their connectors at different angles. Depending on your case, one or the other might work better. I went with the 9211-8i.

ccbruno

Cadet
Thank you both for your help. I came across the Dell PERC H200, which seems to use the LSI2008 Chipset as well. They can be had for about $65 US and it seems they too can be flashed to IT mode. A quick search here didn't find any reasons not too, (if I missed one, sorry). Would it be ok to save a few $$ and go with the Dell? I'll spend the extra $30-$40 if it means not banging my head against a wall later. Thanks again for all of your help and input.

ccbruno

Cadet
Ordered the Dell H200 for $55 US, (including shipping) last night... Now to wait for it's arrival and see if I'm lucky :). Thank you both for all of your help.. I'll let you know how I make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.