Help with drive error (single HDD system)

Status
Not open for further replies.

av8r

Dabbler
I'm running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201512121950 and recently have been getting these errors:

CRITICAL: Device: /dev/ada0, 1960 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
CRITICAL: Device: /dev/ada0, 1960 Offline uncorrectable sectors

I have one, 2T drive in the system (ya, I know...bad practice) and would like to replace this drive ASAP. What's weird (I think) is that when I run the zpool status command I get this:

Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 9.53.37 AM.png

I'm not technically adept so I'm not sure why the errors seem to be conflicting. Either way, is there a process outlined to replace the only drive in a system? I didn't see it in the manual and searching online returned nothing. I believe I can add the drive to the machine and then copy the data, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Those are SMART errors, located during a SMART test. The scrub shows they have not affected actual stored data yet. The drive has not failed yet, but it's getting there. Back up now.

It should be possible to add another drive to this one to create a mirror, at least with the command line. All the data will be resilvered onto the new drive, then this drive can be replaced with another new drive.

av8r

Dabbler
Those are SMART errors, located during a SMART test. The scrub shows they have not affected actual stored data yet. The drive has not failed yet, but it's getting there. Back up now.

It should be possible to add another drive to this one to create a mirror, at least with the command line. All the data will be resilvered onto the new drive, then this drive can be replaced with another new drive.
Thank you. Does the new drive have to be the same size as the current drive? I've ordered components to build a new box, including new drives so I'd like to be able to use whatever drive I buy today in the new box as well.

rs225

Guru
Same size or bigger.

You will basically turn the single drive into a mirror with the new drive, then disconnect the old drive and go back to a single new drive. After that, you can expand the pool to fill the entire single new drive.

av8r

Dabbler
Same size or bigger.

You will basically turn the single drive into a mirror with the new drive, then disconnect the old drive and go back to a single new drive. After that, you can expand the pool to fill the entire single new drive.
Thank you very much.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Same size or bigger.

Or you can simply replace the old disk with the new one. Much simpler and can be done through the GUI, unlike what you're suggesting. Install the new one, don't remove the old one, and follow the manual's instructions for disk replacement. When finished, remove the old disk.

av8r

Dabbler
Or you can simply replace the old disk with the new one. Much simpler and can be done through the GUI, unlike what you're suggesting. Install the new one, don't remove the old one, and follow the manual's instructions for disk replacement. When finished, remove the old disk.
Since I'm building a new box with more appropriate hardware (6, 2T disks) would it be wise to wait or would I be able to use the new disk in the old box to import the data to the new box?

I did look through the 9.3 guide, but didn't see a section regarding a single disk install. Just multiple disks. Maybe I missed the section you're referring to? Would you mind linking me to that section?

thank you very much for the help.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The instructions for replacing a disk are the same whether your pool consists of one disk of 100. I can't easily link to the manual on Tapatalk, but in short, you'd go to Storage -> select your pool -> Volume Status (button that looks like a sheet of notebook paper) -> select your failing disk -> Replace -> select the replacement disk -> Replace Disk.

av8r

Dabbler
The instructions for replacing a disk are the same whether your pool consists of one disk of 100. I can't easily link to the manual on Tapatalk, but in short, you'd go to Storage -> select your pool -> Volume Status (button that looks like a sheet of notebook paper) -> select your failing disk -> Replace -> select the replacement disk -> Replace Disk.
Thanks!

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Does the GUI have a way to add a disk to create a mirror? The single disk has demonstrated why having no redundancy is bad, so I was pushing for the OP to go with a real mirror.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Does the GUI have a way to add a disk to create a mirror? .
No, unfortunately not. It has to be done from the CLI, and the disk manually partitioned first. Hence my suggestion of simply replacing the disk.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Does the GUI have a way to add a disk to create a mirror?
It's been a feature request longer than I've been on the forum. Hopefully we'll finally see it on FreeNAS 10.

Stux

MVP
No, unfortunately not. It has to be done from the CLI, and the disk manually partitioned first. Hence my suggestion of simply replacing the disk.

Yet you can do it for the boot pool!

Status
Not open for further replies.