Help, Using ESXi 5.0, need to expand SATA ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstang1988

Contributor
I'm using ESXi 5.0 on my current freenas system. I'm using a SII 3512 card for the datastore of ESXi 5.0 so I can't upgrade to 5.5 (otherwise I will lose support of the SII 3512).

I was looking at adding 4 more sata ports or more to my system and was looking at the LSI megaraid/IBM option and found this issue with passthrough the https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/836. What other options do you suggest?

Is there a low cost SATA/SAS adapter that I can replace the SII 3512 with? If so I'm ok with upgrading to 5.5 (assuming I get to keep my integrated intel ports passing through). It doesn't sound like I can keep the intel ports though.

I'm using this board: http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z77A-G43.html

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The typical problem with passthrough is that it is often marginal or flaky on consumer grade motherboards, and you're not likely to find technical support from MSI that knows what VT-d in ESXi is or why an IBM branded LSI card not working right is actually their problem. ESXi should indicate whether or not it thinks your individual Intel ethernets are candidates for passthru.

FWIW PCI passthrough generally works without problems on the Supermicro X9S series and X9D series boards. I've got an X9DR7-TF+ running ESXi 5.5 and passing thru an M1015 to FreeNAS 9.1 and it is very happy and reasonably speedy.

We cannot really provide detailed ESXi support here though. There are other forums better equipped for that.

mstang1988

Contributor
Ok, PCI passthrough has been working great on ESXi 5.0 with my current SATA ports (on board intels). It sounds like with Freenas 9.1 and an M1015 it's working as well. I might give an install a try and see how that goes once I pick up a M1015. If it's working then I don't need to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.