[Help] Truenas- can't install plugins and web interface failure

nak0

Cadet
Hello, this is my first Truenas experience.

I have built a fresh server, installed it, and configured it following tutorial videos. When I try to install plugins, (I follow the tutorial videos for that also),the installation that goes smooth until 50% (ffmeg) here is a screenshot: https://prnt.sc/TGzbNT6fQbP_ . It stays at that point for a couple of minutes, then it gives me the message “Connecting to TrueNAS ... Make sure the TrueNAS system is powered on and connected to the network.”: https://prnt.sc/QoJHu9VPXHZs.

I watched someone in the forum, that suggested that the OS is corrupt so I’ve just reinstalled it clean and it didn’t fixed anything.

Please, someone help me.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Please don't post external links to images. You can paste/insert them directly in your post and there won't be the potential for future readers of the post to not find the image.

You haven't given any detail of your hardware, please specify what you're using in accordance with the forum rules (link above in red).

victort

Guru
And being as this is your first experience, you shouldn’t be using plugins. They have been discontinued and will go away completely by 2025.

Use Scale with Apps or the handy installation scripts created by community members.

Last edited:

nak0

Cadet
Hello, this is my first Truenas experience.

I have built a fresh server, installed it, and configured it following tutorial videos. When I try to install plugins, (I follow the tutorial videos for that also),the installation that goes smooth until 50% (ffmeg) here is a screenshot: https://prnt.sc/TGzbNT6fQbP_ . It stays at that point for a couple of minutes, then it gives me the message “Connecting to TrueNAS ... Make sure the TrueNAS system is powered on and connected to the network.”: https://prnt.sc/QoJHu9VPXHZs.

I watched someone in the forum, that suggested that the OS is corrupt so I’ve just reinstalled it clean and it didn’t fixed anything.

Please, someone help me.
Please don't post external links to images. You can paste/insert them directly in your post and there won't be the potential for future readers of the post to not find the image.

You haven't given any detail of your hardware, please specify what you're using in accordance with the forum rules (link above in red).
Sorry about the links.

I'ts basically a desktop PC:
MB: Asrock x570 pro ATX AM4
CPU: Ryzen 7 5700G
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3600 CL18
OS drive: Samsung EVO Plus 250GB PCIe 3.0 x4

nak0

Cadet
And being as this is your first experience, you shouldn’t be using plugins. They have been discontinued and will go away completely by 2025.

Use Scale with Apps or the handy installation scripts created by community memebers.
I ran into a lot of trouble during the setup, is Scale more "noob frendly" and is the app installation more easy and less buggy than Core?

victort

Guru
To be real
I ran into a lot of trouble during the setup, is Scale more "noob frendly" and is the app installation more easy and less buggy than Core?
It is in some ways, and in others not so much.
The apps are simple to install for sure, but some things like storing your data outside of the app for easy reinstallation can be challenging, especially when using the Truecharts apps.

Truecharts is continuously providing breaking updates at this point, (which means having to reinstall your apps) but…
The official apps on Scale work fine at this point.

Truecharts is just a collection (not official) of apps that you can add to Scale and install.

The apps are not less buggy. Jails are a solid way to run services. Core is extremely stable. Scale is just growing.

I would actually suggest that you start with Scale and try the apps (official ones). They are a lot more user friendly with everything being done with the GUI.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'ts basically a desktop PC:
MB: Asrock x570 pro ATX AM4
CPU: Ryzen 7 5700G
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3600 CL18
OS drive: Samsung EVO Plus 250GB PCIe 3.0 x4
So what I see here is one Samsung SSD, no other drives, and unknown amount of RAM. These are what stand out when I read this.

TrueNAS requires at least 8GB RAM, however 16GB is the recommended starting point these days. You also need a boot drive and data storage drive(s), where typically the data storage is made of multiple hard drives creating to create what is called a vdev/pool.

If you do have more hard drives and you do have at least 8GB RAM, you should be good to do the installation.

I have built a fresh server, installed it, and configured it following tutorial videos.
I want to say that all these videos are way out of date, but I have no idea which video you used. So watch the video and use the User Guide.

If you haven't done so already, I highly recommend you read the User Guide (see documentation link at top of page).

Core is more mature and stable, Scale is catching up fast. Either one is a good option.

nak0

Cadet
I would actually suggest that you start with Scale and try the apps (official ones). They are a lot more user friendly with everything being done with the GUI.
I will try it then. I have experience with electronincs, just the Truenas experience is new to me.

The apps are not less buggy. Jails are a solid way to run services. Core is extremely stable. Scale is just growing.
Maybe I will try jails too.

I love how easy is to install the OS, since you have the backup files.
I guess I will do the migration to Scale with a video. Can I use the backup file from Core? I guess the answer is no, but I want to ask anyway :D.

So what I see here is one Samsung SSD, no other drives, and unknown amount of RAM. These are what stand out when I read this.

TrueNAS requires at least 8GB RAM, however 16GB is the recommended starting point these days. You also need a boot drive and data storage drive(s), where typically the data storage is made of multiple hard drives creating to create what is called a vdev/pool.

If you do have more hard drives and you do have at least 8GB RAM, you should be good to do the installation.
Yeah the ram sticks are 2x8GB.

I want to say that all these videos are way out of date, but I have no idea which video you used.
I tried to use the latest ones.

nak0

Cadet
Update:

I migrated to Scale and the Plex installation was a success.

Buttt... I ran to a diffrent problem now. I have 2 PC's to test with. My win 11 one has no problem accessing the server through file explorer. However, my main PC, that is with windows 10 (don't know if this is related at all) can't connect with it at all- gives me "\\TRUENAS is not accessible[...]" I am putting the picture of the error.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 43

nak0

Cadet
Buttt... I ran to a diffrent problem now. I have 2 PC's to test with. My win 11 one has no problem accessing the server through file explorer. However, my main PC, that is with windows 10 (don't know if this is related at all) can't connect with it at all- gives me "\\TRUENAS is not accessible[...]" I am putting the picture of the error.
Fixed it, had to disconnect, cause I had it mapped and it bugged I guess and I remapped it again.