Help Recovering ZPool

Steven Scott

Dabbler
I am able to recover my zpool in a readonly state with `zpool import -F -m -o readonly=on -f StoragePool`. I can do this via the shell. However, as soon as I restart, my system crashes due to the zpool. As it is readonly, I cannot fix the problems. I want to transfer all the data to another FreeNAS system, but I cannot see the mounted image in my GUI. While I can access it via a shell, to FTP files off, 1 folder at a time is not feasible. I need to get the GUI and other tools to see this mounted volume so I can access it with other tools and copy all the files.

Is there a way to change how FreeNAS mounts the zpools, so I can set the command line above to be used? If not, I can still load it via the shell once the GUI is up, but how do I get the tools in the FreeNAS GUI to then see and share this volume in the state it is. I just want to be able to connect NFS, a FTP Client, or Samba, and copy all the data off the hard drive pool. The drives all pass SMART tests. The original problem is that my USB stick died and I lost some information then. Trying to pull the files (no working backup, another issue) but I want to try to retrieve the data.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Steven Scott

Dabbler
I realize that the hardware etc., is useful for a lot of problems, but mine is not a hardware issue as the drives will load read-only. I need to either get the location to change the boot up zpool import option switches (a one of fix for this issue, then redo the server) to load the zpool as I need, or how to configure the system so the GUI tools, can see the CLI commands that allow me to load the zpool image.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's interesting, nonetheless.

As for your requirement, I'm not 100% clear: Would an SFTP client be acceptable? If so, just connect to the server like you would for SSH. WinSCP works well for me, but, like editors, ask five different people and you'll get six different answers.

Steven Scott

Dabbler
My issue is I need the services available on FreeNAS. Right now, it does not see the volume mounted, so I cannot connect an FTP, NFS or other service to the directory on the FreeNAS box.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
My issue is I need the services available on FreeNAS. Right now, it does not see the volume mounted, so I cannot connect an FTP, NFS or other service to the directory on the FreeNAS box.
So import the pool and navigate to [path]/mnt/poolname[/path] in the SFTP client.

Steven Scott

Dabbler
When I import the pool on FreeNAS, it is located off of /<PoolName> (/Asus-i5 in my configuration). However, the GUI does not show this path as existing, but I can access it via the Shell, and see my data, which I am trying to copy off. The problem is that I did have an Samba share previously configured to this address /Asus-i5, but when the computer starts, since this is not available (I have to import the zpool manually to get the Read-Only version), the share is not available. As the path does not seem to be visible to the GUI, I cannot create a FTP site to it, or NFS, Samba etc. I can change directory into this folder on the FreeNAS box and then FTP to a remote computer, but this has me moving files one directory at a time with mput *, since this tool is not recursive.

Ultimately, I would love to be able to modify how the zpool is loaded during the boot (so I can add the extra command line options -F -m readony=on) which would hopefully solve the problem. Failing that, just being able to get the GUI to see the directory once I use the Shell prompt from the GUI to manually do the zpool import.

Steven Scott

Dabbler
You assume it is not a hardware problem.
While there is a drive problem, I can load the image manually. So the hardware is not currently blocking what I am trying to. However, while I can import the pool in the shell after starting the computer, I cannot access that pool via the GUI. So while the hardware itself is not technically blocking my access, I need for the GUI to recognize the image once it is imported via the CLI.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
As the path does not seem to be visible to the GUI, I cannot create a FTP site to it,
You do not need to. Log in using an SFTP client and you have free rein over your system to transfer data as you wish to do.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You do not need to. Log in using an SFTP client and you have free rein over your system to transfer data as you wish to do.
Using the SSH port and credentials.

Steven Scott

Dabbler
Thanks for the answer, you put me on to the right track. I was unable to save my public key to a user, as the USB stick was not supported for having the working directories. Based on your references, it made me think to simply add a temporary storage device (USB hard drive) and add the user directory to that device as the home path. Then I could save my public SSH key, and then I was able to login from a remote machine. This then allowed me to copy from the readonly pool of files.