Help needed! Problems updating from FreeNAS 11.3-U5 to TrueNAS

Woodward

Cadet
I recently did a successful update from 9.3 to 11.2, from within FreeNAS. Then I went to 11.3-U5, also successful. Should have stopped there, but took the next step to TrueNAS CORE 12. These were all from the update page in the GUI. Now the system boots, but no GUI and no access to the storage. After powering on, the 'Welcome to TrueNAS' menu comes up. I let it autoload. After it's done booting, I can ping the IP address. And if I point a browser to it through the LAN and I get a page that says: "Connecting to TrueNAS ... Make sure the TrueNAS system is powered on and connected to the network." Here are some things I see during the boot. Of course, there's a lot more. I pulled out some things that seemed significant, but I don't know enough to know what's important. I recorded the whole bootup, so can look for more details if needed:

can't find '/etc/hostid'

Starting zfsd
lo0: link state changed to UP
middlewared: setting up plugins (pwenc) [4/57]
Middleware startup is idle for more than 240 seconds
##############################################################
MIDDLEWARED FAILED TO START, SYSTEM WILL NOT BEHAVE CORRECTLY!
##############################################################
Loading early kernel modules:
Syncing disks...
Failed to run middleware call. Daemon not running?
Mounting local filesystems:.

Setting hostname: truenas.

Feeding entropy: .
Starting interfaces...
eval: ha_mode: not found
Generating configuration for interface_sync checkpoint
Failed to sync interfaces

Starting dhclient.
em0: no link .............. giving up
/etc/rc.d/dhclient: WARNING: failed to start dhclient
Starting dhclient.
em1: no link .......em1: link state changed to UP
got link
DHCPDISCOVER on em1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
DHCPOFFER from 192.168.1.1
DHCPREQUEST on em1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 192.168.1.1
bound to 192.168.1.40 -- renewal in 43200 seconds.

Heracles

Wizard
And if I point a browser to it through the LAN and I get a page that says: "Connecting to TrueNAS ... Make sure the TrueNAS system is powered on and connected to the network."

Hi,

Probably just a problem with your browser's cache. Empty your cache, or switch to Incognito / Private mode before viewing your NAS.

Does that work any better ?

Woodward

Cadet
Tried both just now. Same message. And my mapped shares to the storage from a Windows system no longer connect.

Heracles

Wizard
Ok ; so from the boot up message, your NIC em0 is not working anymore. That may be a hardware failure.

Also, your case look like this. From here, it really looks like hardware problem. May be your boot device, your motherboard or your NIC...

Can you SSH in the box ? Can you figure out more error message about hardware problems ?

Woodward

Cadet
Thanks for the help. I'll check into all that tomorrow or Sunday. In the boot-up display stream it said 'Starting openssh.' so that's probably available. I have to find out how to do that. I have an ssh client on my Windows box, as well as putty, but haven't tried them yet. As far as hardware goes, I didn't make any hardware changes and didn't have any problems until I told it to do the online upgrade from 11.3 to 12.0, so I was assuming it wasn't hardware. But you never know when something is going to fail. I did save a backup of my configuration before leaving 11.3. Too bad I didn't just copy the system thumb drive. When I get this sorted out, I'll probably change to an ssd, since I have a stack of spare 128GB drives leftover from some upgrades.

Heracles

Wizard
I didn't make any hardware changes

Hardware can fail by itself... It's always a built-in feature :smile:

and didn't have any problems until I told it to do the online upgrade

By definition, things always work before they stop working...

upgrade from 11.3 to 12.0, so I was assuming it wasn't hardware.

Your logical was sound. But a complete change at OS with the reboots and everything can also be the detonator that will expose what was sleeping before.

So for now, I think the main suspect is hardware... Good luck finding and fixing that problem,