[HELP] Freenas 9.2 Migration

Hi guys, i really need your help on this one.

So, i'm using Freenas 9.2 (i know, i know) on a Hp Miniserver with Slots for 4 Disks.

I had 2 Mirrored disks with 2 separate pools:

X2 2TB Disk (mirrored) - Pool A

X2 4TB Disk (mirrored) - Pool B

One of the disks in pool B died, so i wanted to replace it, and i would do it with a 12TB, wait for resilver than swap the second disk for another 12TB Disk.

So that the result would be: x2 12 TB Disk (Mirrored) - Pool B

This is where i've fscked up: :eek:

Sleepy me added a single stripped Disk to the Pool B, so now it is:

1x 4TB Disk (Mirrored, but the other 4TB is dead).

1 x 12TB Disk (Stripped).

During my google searches i've figured you can't remove a stripped disk from the pool ...

So, i guess my only option is to replicate the entire pool to another disks, bear in mind, i need to maintain an exact copy of the structure on the existing pool, jails, permissions, shares, etc..

1- How can i do it?
2- Can i do it to a single 12TB disk and then add the second one later, after the process is done, to make it a mirror?
- I ask this because i have now : Bay1: Disk 2TB pool A
Bay2: Disk 2TB pool A
Bay3: Disk 4TB pool B
Bay4: Disk 12TB pool B

3- Is it possible to take off the disks from pool A, so that i can use the slots for replication purposes, won't it f** up my Pool A?

Thanks in advance!

Nick2253

Wizard
ZFS has the ability to add a mirror to a single disk. I'm not sure if it's in the GUI, but you can definitely do it from the command line (https://blog.fosketts.net/2017/12/11/add-mirror-existing-zfs-drive/).

I would recommend the following steps:
  1. Take a backup of your data!
  2. Create a new Zpool using the other un-used 12TB disk. (I'll call it Pool C).
  3. Replicate (zfs send/receive) the data from Pool B to this new Pool C.
  4. Blow away Pool B, and use its 12TB drive as the new mirror for Pool C.
I'm not sure I'm understanding your 3rd question. ZFS only care about drives, it doesn't care about which ports those driver are plugged into. If you are lacking enough ports to complete the above tasks, I'd suggest offlining Pool A entirely, and that would give you two additional slots/ports/whatever you want to call them.

ZFS has the ability to add a mirror to a single disk. I'm not sure if it's in the GUI, but you can definitely do it from the command line (https://blog.fosketts.net/2017/12/11/add-mirror-existing-zfs-drive/).

I would recommend the following steps:
  1. Take a backup of your data!
  2. Create a new Zpool using the other un-used 12TB disk. (I'll call it Pool C).
  3. Replicate (zfs send/receive) the data from Pool B to this new Pool C.
  4. Blow away Pool B, and use its 12TB drive as the new mirror for Pool C.
I'm not sure I'm understanding your 3rd question. ZFS only care about drives, it doesn't care about which ports those driver are plugged into. If you are lacking enough ports to complete the above tasks, I'd suggest offlining Pool A entirely, and that would give you two additional slots/ports/whatever you want to call them.
Thank you so much Nick,

It helps a lot.

To explain my last question, i'll rephrase it.

I do not have enough ports to complete the tasks, can I Offline Pool A, use the ports from those disks. And, after the completion of the above operation, Place Pool A Disk's back on, and turn the Pool A back Online without any consequence?.

Bare in mind, although it's not as important, i do not wish to loose data on Pool A either.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
ZFS has the ability to add a mirror to a single disk. I'm not sure if it's in the GUI, but you can definitely do it from the command line
It is, but only in 12.

Nick2253

Wizard
I do not have enough ports to complete the tasks, can I Offline Pool A, use the ports from those disks. And, after the completion of the above operation, Place Pool A Disk's back on, and turn the Pool A back Online without any consequence?.
Yes.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
But is it doable trough Command? Could you by any chance tell me how to do it?
Through the CLI? Easily. It's been written up a few times, but doesn't seem to have made it into a Resource. Something like zpool attach $poolname $vdevname $newdisk. If you upgrade to a recent version, you can even get rid of the extraneous vdev, since you only have mirrors/single disks.

Nick2253

Wizard
But is it doable trough Command? Could you by any chance tell me how to do it?
Did you read my link? It walks you through the steps to do it via command line.