Help - crashing server or corrupt time machine backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfista

Cadet
Hi All,

I am having some trouble with a freenas box I have built.

I have two 1.5tb drives mirrored and formatted with ZFS. The box is stable, now that I have two gigabytes of RAM in it, but about every few weeks I am told by my mac that the Time Machine backup needs to be recreated. I've read some posts that ZFS scrubbing might be the culprit.

I added an external 2tb USB drive and formatted it with UFS as a test. The time machine backups work to this disk (although I haven't completed more than week of backups) but the server crashes regularly.

My specs are below. Any thoughts?

Hostname FreeNAS.local
FreeNAS Build FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-x86 (10351)
Platform Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU 230 @ 1.60GHz
Memory 2027MB
System Time Thu Sep 6 11:49:34 2012
Uptime 11:49AM up 6 mins, 0 users
Load Average 0.07, 0.28, 0.18
OS Version FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p6

Cheers,

Jason

alfista

Cadet
So, I did a bit of research and think that 2gb might be my problem, but it is the maximum this box supports. This, I'm thinking of trying to get ZFS out of the equation. Any thoughts on doing this? I suppose I can copy the 1.5tb to the USB drive (while hoping for no crashes) and then reformat the array using UFS. Thoughts?

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
ZFS on 2GB RAM is a bad idea. If you can safely move to UFS, I highly recommend it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
ZFS on 2GB RAM is a bad idea. If you can safely move to UFS, I highly recommend it.

+1

I think you've figured out that you need to do something OP. It will probably cost you some money, but if you don't do something you'll be another one of those threads that has constant crashes and whatnot because of insufficient RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.