Hello, greetings and help me pick my mobo...LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duderino2020

Dabbler
First, I am a former IT admin (back in the Windows NT4 days when it took 300 hours just to setup a printer) that has been self-employed for 15 years now. I handle small biz IT up to 50 PCs but most clients are 5-25. I also do structured cabling, surveillance systems and some other complimentary markets.

But now I am stepping into the Freenas world for the first time. This forum and the DIY types here are my kind of people!!!!!!!!!!! This is my first post here and I will do follow posts as I progress and will include pictures too. For the sake of giving credit where it is due, I had been toying with this idea for a year or so but the NASFERATU project found at Tek Syndicate really motivated me to get this thing done!!!!

Please help me choose my motherboard and RAM amount.

This will be my first Freenas build. I am on the kindergarten level when it comes to Linux, FreeBSD, and similar. I did successfully build and use my own pfSense router using an AMD 5350 Quad Core and an Asrock AM1H-ITX mobo with a Zyxel NWA5123-NI WiFi AP. I am done with buying the consumer level home routers for $200-300 and installing DD-WRT. Also, I have done A LOT of reading here, Golding there and researching all over. I felt the time was right for me to ask questions specific to my needs and to try to get answers specific to me. So forgive my redundancy but I have my reasons. lol

I am currently trying to decide between these two motherboards -

Asrock C2550D4I
http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=C2550D4I#Specifications

SuperMicro A1SAi-2550F
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Atom/X10/A1SAi-2550F.cfm

MY CURRENT NAS - HOW I USE IT - WHAT MY NEEDS ARE -
I have been happily using Synology appliances for myself and my SOHO clients for about 7 years. Right now I have a DS213 (a Marvell Kirkwood 2GHz single core CPU with 512MB RAM) with 2x3TB WD RED NAS drives mirrored. I back this up using an automated schedule of once a week every Sunday morning at 7am to an external USB 3.0 Seagate BACKUP PLUS 3TB HD. Performance-wise, this seems to meet my needs but a bit more ooomph would not be a bad thing...lol.

My core uses include basically just dumping files that are crucial to preserve. Business & personal, docs, spreadsheets, vacation pics & videos, Acronis backup images of all PCs, backing up my test lab VMWARE Workstations, etc. I also remote access this NAS when needed to retrieve work/client files on-site.

It is definitely time for me to step up my game. FREENAS is the way. I want ECC RAM, I would like encryption, ZFS and to continue to use my NAS as I currently do. That said, I could see myself getting slightly more aggressive with FREENAS once I get some skills - maybe storing and running VMs from it instead of having them on a local HD, thus allowing me to shrink from full tower PCs to smaller form factors and recovering space under my desk...LOL

Again, my imagination of the possibilities is limited now as I am new to Freenas. Using the FEATURES webpage for reference I could see myself using encyrption, snapshots, owncloud,and maybe bacula, btsync, and occasionally transmission as I have used that on my Synology.

MY PLAN -
One of these two motherboards obviously because I really want a low TDP type setup, Silverstone DS380B case, a 1TB Samsung EVO PRO SSD for the Freenas install, (just kidding...lol could you imagine that?!) a 16GB USB (might go with a 32GB ADATA S600 SSD drive) for the install, and 8 or 16GBs of ECC RAM. I think I probably will only need 8GB but if the price is not too bad....maybe just go for 16GB and be done with it?

I plan on grabbing 4x3TB WD RED drives for a Z2 setup. I currently consume 2.5TB of space and this would give me 6TB (room for growth) and double parity. My Synology will then be demoted to either acting as a backup device via Cat6 (if I do not just simply plug an external USB 3.0 HD into the Freenas box) or it will be used for unimportant household/family files.

The case would be the .

I chose the QUAD core boards as I doubt the OCTO core versions will be necessary for my uses/needs (also considering I currently have a 2GHz single core CPU)...anyone disagree?

MY CONCERNS ABOUT THE MOTHERBOARDS -
#1 -
I know from building servers and other gear that SuperMicro is solid, reliable, etc. and I know that the Avoton Asrock boards are popular for Freenas use. I am loving the SuperMicro because of the USB 3.0 ports and to allow me fast and easy back up to an external HD. Plus the SM has an onboard USB 3.0 type A header...a bonus for a 16GB Freenas system USB stick. The Asrock has only USB 2.0 but I could just install an add-on PCI-E USB 3.0 card. Is that OK to do or is it a sloppy/buggy method? As long as I can get some kind of USB 3.0 external HD backup, either board will make me happy.

#2 -
The SuperMicro only has 2x SATA3 (6Gbps) ports and 4x SATA2 (3Gbps) ports (INTEL) - 6 total SATA ports.
The Asrock has 2 x SATA3 6.0Gbps, 4 x SATA2 3.0Gbps by C2550 and 4 x SATA3 6.0Gbps by Marvell SE9230, 2 x SATA3 6.0Gbps by Marvell SE9172 - 12 total SATA ports.
SCENARIO - Right now, I only feel I need ZFS Z2 with 4x3TB HDs (2 for storage and 2 for parity) so let's pretend I have 4 HDs installed on the INTEL SATA2 ports. Time goes by and I want to add another 3TB to expand my storage (3 for storage and 2 for parity). Can I easily expand my storage by adding another 3TB HD to an Intel SATA3 port? How about to a Marvell SATA2 or SATA3 port? In other words, can I mix and match the SATA port chipsets without causing problems?

#3 -
SuperMicro is SO-DIMM vs Asrock's Full DIMMs - does anyone have a problem or comment about that? I don't see a problem except for possible price issues?

#4 -
I was going to try to use a PICO-type power supply on either of these boards...yes/no?
NEVER MIND #4 - going to go with a simple, quiet SFX supply...most likely a SilverStone SST-ST30SF 80Plus BRONZE 300W.

THANKS, THANKS, THANKS and THANKS again in advance for all the wisdom and guidance to come!

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
First, I am a former IT admin (back in the Windows NT4 days when it took 300 hours just to setup a printer) that has been self-employed for 15 years now.
You mean like life was until Windows 8 made it automagic (emphasis on the magic!)?

ne of these two motherboards obviously because I really want a low TDP type setup, a Fractal Design Node 304 case which allows for 6x3.5" HDs, a 1TB Samsung EVO PRO HD for the Freenas install, (just kidding...lol could you imagine that?!)
Imagine? It's extremely credible by the standards of what some people come up with.

MY CONCERNS ABOUT THE MOTHERBOARDS -
#1 -
I know from building servers and other gear that SuperMicro is solid, reliable, etc. and I know that the Avoton Asrock boards are popular for Freenas use. I am loving the SuperMicro because of the USB 3.0 ports and to allow me fast and easy back up to an external HD. Plus the SM has an onboard USB 3.0 type A header...a bonus for a 16GB Freenas system USB stick. The Asrock has only USB 2.0 but I could just install an add-on PCI-E USB 3.0 card. Is that OK to do or is it a sloppy/buggy method? As long as I can get some kind of USB 3.0 external HD backup, either board will make me happy.

#2 -
The SuperMicro only has 2x SATA3 (6Gbps) ports and 4x SATA2 (3Gbps) ports (INTEL) - 6 total SATA ports.
The Asrock has 2 x SATA3 6.0Gbps, 4 x SATA2 3.0Gbps by C2550 and 4 x SATA3 6.0Gbps by Marvell SE9230, 2 x SATA3 6.0Gbps by Marvell SE9172 - 12 total SATA ports.
SCENARIO - Right now, I only feel I need ZFS Z2 with 4x3TB HDs (2 for storage and 2 for parity) so let's pretend I have 4 HDs installed on the INTEL SATA2 ports. Time goes by and I want to add another 3TB to expand my storage (3 for storage and 2 for parity). Can I easily expand my storage by adding another 3TB HD to an Intel SATA3 port? How about to a Marvell SATA2 or SATA3 port? In other words, can I mix and match the SATA port chipsets without causing problems?

#3 -
SuperMicro is SO-DIMM vs Asrock's Full DIMMs - does anyone have a problem or comment about that? I don't see a problem except for possible price issues?

#4 -
I was going to try to use a PICO-type power supply on either of these boards...yes/no? I do have a 450W Corsair 80PLUS unit laying around but would prefer the PS heat and noise to be replaced by a PICO PS and an external DC brick.

THANKS, THANKS, THANKS and THANKS again in advance for all the wisdom and guidance to come!

1. USB is generally a bad idea, due the shoddiness of drives and SATA/USB bridges. USB 3.0 is also disabled by default, for now, until it stabilizes.
  2. You can easily connect additional drives to any supported controller you wish. You cannot easily have more safe storage. For details, I recommend you read Cyberjock's guide (link is in my sig). The Marvell ports are relatively flaky for now, but work is underway to improve their compatibility with FreeNAS.
  3. Pricing is the only difference.
  4. I have no experience with those things, but they look dubious. Power bricks are doubly dubious. Some Supermicros do take direct 12V connections, removing one dubious element. I don't really trust low-end Corsairs in a server, either. I'd go for a Seasonic G-360 (or G-450 if modular cables are desired).

Duderino2020

Dabbler
  1. USB is generally a bad idea, due the shoddiness of drives and SATA/USB bridges. USB 3.0 is also disabled by default, for now, until it stabilizes.
  2. You can easily connect additional drives to any supported controller you wish. You cannot easily have more safe storage. For details, I recommend you read Cyberjock's guide (link is in my sig). The Marvell ports are relatively flaky for now, but work is underway to improve their compatibility with FreeNAS.
  3. Pricing is the only difference.
  4. I have no experience with those things, but they look dubious. Power bricks are doubly dubious. Some Supermicros do take direct 12V connections, removing one dubious element. I don't really trust low-end Corsairs in a server, either. I'd go for a Seasonic G-360 (or G-450 if modular cables are desired).
Hi and thanks for the reply. OK.
For #1 - I could easily just go with eSATA. Your opinion?
#2 - I had started reading that earlier this morning. Still not finished it but my main concern was the chipset hopping. lol I knew from other reading the ADDING part was the fly in the ointment for sure.
#3 - I figured as much since I did some quick and dirty price checking.

#4 - Changed my mind any way as my OP reflects from some edits. I figured a 300W 80Plus Bronze SFX would be a better decision. For roughly $55 it can't be beat. I could also go with the 450W 80Plus Gold fully modular version for $99...it just seems like over spent money and overkill though.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
eSATA is fine, but cables really must be kept below 1m total, which is typically limiting. An external SAS enclosure with an expander would solve that problem, but it would also be rather expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.