Hello from Toronto Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quicksilv3r

Dabbler
Hey guys, I got into FreeNas after getting ransomware on my personal computer, and having cloud services such as One Drive, Google Drive, Box and Dropbox all connected to the pc, the ransomware infected ALL of my personal pictures and other media that I cannot ever get back.

So now, I started to learn FreeNas and got in on the first beta of 11.2 and I wish I had waited. Lots of discrepancies of guides on updating and plugins. Now that i'm on 11.2 stable release, I'm starting to learn a bit. A bit confused on plugins, as I want to use things such as SickRage and SABNZB and I see they aren't supported. Will there be support for those plugins? or is there a guide to install plugins that aren't fully compliant? And if so, how difficult is it to learn cmd line as I haven't been in a command line environment in about 20+yrs now and I'm extremely rusty.

Anyways, thought I'd stop in and say hello

Apollo

Wizard
Hi Quicksilv3r,

Welcome aboard.
I think you are coming at a good time where transition to Freenas 11.2 is more stable and will provide you with a lot more option than previously encountered.
The learning curve can be steep, but sticking to the forum will allow you to get the information and help you need.
I think Freenas is at a very interesting turning point where many option are now available, such as Docker, Iocage jails and virtual machines.
I would say to stay away from pluggins unless you do not require frequent update.
BTW, learn about snapshots and replication it would be useful at mitigating ransomware.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.