Hello from Portland, OR

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBronx

Cadet
I was born and raised in the Bronx, hence my username. Anyway, I'm an "infant newb" as I saw someone describe themself.

Just built my own rig according to Brian Moses' 2017 DIY blog. Using 6 8TB drives.

Taught myself DOS in the '80s and built all my own PCs. Worked in Tech Support for 26 years. Recently retired and took on this project to store my expanding media library.

Though I'm comfortable with a command line, learning UNIX/LINUX style commands is somewhat overwhelming at this point and I know I'l be depending on the wealth of knowledge here!!

paulj666

Cadet
Welcome DBronx, I hear you man.
Been retired 13 years and forgotten most of the Unix commands.
Slowly comming back but it's not as easy as it used to be.

DBronx

Cadet
Thanks for chiming in Paul, I'm having a helluva time trying to just create a volume.. I've used dd to clear the first 512 bytes of the MBR, used GPARTED to mark the disk as clear - showing no partitions or filesystems; and still FreeNAS errors out when trying to create the volume. When I started the process with RAW disks it worked fine.

Read somewhere that someone put the drives in a Windows PC and formatted as NTFS and they were able to create a volume in the GUI... So I don't know.. I'll try the dd command that zeroes out the end of the partition table.. if THAT doesn't work...

Much more frustrating than I imagined and makes me wonder if I want to trust all my valuable data to it. Sorry for the rant... I appreciate your comment Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.