Hello from Omaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgreenwood

Cadet
Greetings, all! I am new to FreeNAS and a long time Linux (mostly Debian) hobbyist. I'm very impressed with FreeBSD based on my limited experience with FreeNAS so I will be exploring FreeBSD more deeply.

My FreeNAS comes via Brian Moses' 2016 EconoNAS build which I purchased and constructed about December of 2016. The build went pretty much exactly as Brian wrote it up. It was my first computer build. I had never built an OS on a USB drive let alone have it boot from the drive and actually run the computer. It is up and running. Lots of firsts for me. I haven't done much with it yet, other than to get snapshots from the home network's 2007 iMac, Dell Vostro 1520 running AVLinux and a WD MyBook. I also have a MythTV installation on an old Dell Dimension E310.

Has anyone used rsback to make periodic rolling incremental backups? Anyway, I'm pretty sure i created an rsback configuration file in /etc but it seems to have disappeared. Maybe FreeNAS cleans house periodically and I had my config file in the wrong place? I need to read up on best practices for installing software in FreeNAS. Let me know if anything jumps out at you. Thanks.

gpsguy

Welcome to the forums!

FreeNAS is intended to run as an appliance and as such you shouldn't be installing stuff on the OS itself. Upgrades and restarts might erase your changes.

If you want to install other stuff, put it in a jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.