Hello, FreeNAS forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbesdaboba

Cadet
Hello!

Thanks, forum, for the wealth of information! I just finished building and testing (jeez badblocks takes forever) my home FreeNAS box. Hardware details below:

Motherboard: SuperMicro MBD-X9SCM-F-O
CPU: Intel Pentium G620 2.6GHz
RAM: Hynix 2x8GB PC3-12800 1600MHz ECC (16GB total)
HDDs: 4x3TB WD Red Pro WD3001FFSX in RAIDZ10
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Case: Lian Li PC-354B

I'm running RAIDZ10 because I'm scared of rebuild times.
I'm getting about 110MB/s over 1GbE from workstation SSD to FreeNAS over CIFS.
If I do the same except transfer from a USB3.0 external drive connected to my workstation, I get 80MB/s.
Transfer rate from USB3.0 external drive to workstation SSD runs at about 120MB/s. Any ideas where I'm taking the performance hit from 110MB/s to 80MB/s?

Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes, it's called USB. Read latency is always better than write latency.

Not sure why you are scared of rebuild times. I can rebuild my RAIDZ2 10x6TB drives in less than 15 hours!

hobbesdaboba

Cadet
Yes, it's called USB. Read latency is always better than write latency.

Not sure why you are scared of rebuild times. I can rebuild my RAIDZ2 10x6TB drives in less than 15 hours!

I'm also planning on adding some 10G hardware in the future, so I wanted the performance of RAIDZ10.

Anyway, since USB to workstation is 120MB/s and workstation to NAS is 110MB/s, shouldn't USB to NAS be the lesser of the two speeds?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not necessarily. ZFS does lots of things that are pretty amazing and has edge cases that can screw up things with the flow of traffic and such.

If you read around, hard drives should NOT be used on your FreeNAS box as USB. USB is not designed to handle the kind of workloads a NAS uses, and it's very dangerous.

hobbesdaboba

Cadet
Not necessarily. ZFS does lots of things that are pretty amazing and has edge cases that can screw up things with the flow of traffic and such.

If you read around, hard drives should NOT be used on your FreeNAS box as USB. USB is not designed to handle the kind of workloads a NAS uses, and it's very dangerous.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant USB to workstation to NAS. I would never use USB on a NAS as a permanent solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.