Hello FreeNAS fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokkan

Cadet
Hello people,
Starting arround a year ago I started venturing with VM's, its applications with servers and from then on it quickly escalated into server configurations/types and networking.
Eventually I saw how much easier it could make my personal and my girlfriends life.
Now was the time of picking the hardware... Having started my carreer as a computer technician I was familiar with the hardware specs, how small I could go with them and all of those whistles.
All that was for nothing when HP made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I got a BNIB HPGen8 Microserver with 4GB ECC DDR3 and a G1610T for 100 euros plus tax.
I bought it, bought a cable for the ODD slot to put an SSD, slapped a few disks that I trusted. One 2TB Hitachi and two WD Blue, another 4GB ECC memory and I was golden. Only thing I actually bought was the cable off of ebay.
Bought an 8 port gigabit switch, gigabit router with AC wireless also.
This was in May, ended up reading these forums as well as some others. After reading how people are strict with the systems here and how they provide help I put it up to me that I can do this on my own by either solving it with my head or reading the manual/forums and not posting any type of request for help.
Much of it because I wanted to challenge myself so I could learn faster.

Well I'm here today to say that the system has been online for more than 20 days without a single fault, software or hardware. Everything works perfectly as intended. Took me about 4 days to get everything up, a couple of hours here and there to understand what was wrong with the way I handled permissions, why were things being deleted on their own etc.

I learned more than I could've hoped.

1st part was my media, the server is running Plex, Emby, CouchPotato, SickRage, Transmission and the VirtualBox Jail where I have nothing currently but will put my testing debian web-server and probably some other VM's running other servers.

2nd part was giving access to both of us to a zone dedicated to us in order for us to make a backup on top of all the other backups we already have.
I have a powerline routing the network to another portion of the house, it was there before I thought of any of this. I am proud to say that I am capable of reaching arround 30MB/s speed over the powerline which is more than enough for the PS3 on one of the rooms to run Plex or LibreElec on a RaspPi to run 1080p movies without a hitch.

On the main room where everything is, I reach 100MB/s guaranteed.

My future upgrade paths are:
Increase ram to 16GB;
Change CPU to Xeon 1260L;

Me and my girlfriend also agreed that we will be upgrading to WD RED 4TB*4 minimum, we want to keep ourselves under the 500 euros mark in HDD's but want to get the most reliable storage available.

gpsguy

Congratulations on a job well done!

We appreciate it when users take the initiative to look/read the resources on the forums.

This was in May, ended up reading these forums as well as some others. After reading how people are strict with the systems here and how they provide help I put it up to me that I can do this on my own by either solving it with my head or reading the manual/forums and not posting any type of request for help.

Much of it because I wanted to challenge myself so I could learn faster..

Status
Not open for further replies.