Hello all you Storage Geeksters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been toying with the idea of a NAS for awhile but Patrick Norton pushed me over the edge with the DIY Tryin epi Ive got a case and some HDDs just need to find a older processor and some ram for an older motherboard and Ill be swingin from the Tail of this FreeNAS shark

Im a Web Developer, Hosting Provider, Graphic Artist, Drummer and GeekDad I do like to keep busy

Yatti420

Wizard

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. Patrick Norton was told by me that his videos are NOT to be used. He never got back to me.

Yeah.. Patrick Norton was told by me that his videos are NOT to be used. He never got back to me.
yeah kinda why I came here because the video sucked and assumed alot on the part of the viewer and really didnt explain what building a NAS entails love the hardware guide it really opened my eyes and made me rethink my NAS plans which are now on hold untill I can get some more cash for batter parts.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Who's Patrick Norton again?

We know a lot of folks arrive here with plans to build a very inexpensive NAS, and as a consummate cheapskate I fully appreciate the sentiment. Problem is, the cheap hardware introduces cheap hardware problems, and even the expensive hardware often gets it wrong (I love Realtek ethernets on prosumer grade gear!). "Do it once and do it right" works out better in the end for your pocketbook, as hurtful as it might be up front. Also makes for a much more pleasant FreeNAS experience.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
He did some youtube video where they talked about how to build a "cheap" FreeNAS server using that old desktop that's sitting in the bottom of your closet. Not surprisingly it had 2GB of RAM or something, and he made a whole bunch of other stupid mistakes. I went and even told him that he made a bunch of mistakes. He messaged me back asking what in particular and I said "too many to explain.... if you want to do a skype or voice call we can sort it out". He apparently wasn't interested since I never heard from him again.

People don't like being told they are wrong.

KTrain

Dabbler
He did some youtube video where they talked about how to build a "cheap" FreeNAS server using that old desktop that's sitting in the bottom of your closet. Not surprisingly it had 2GB of RAM or something, and he made a whole bunch of other stupid mistakes. I went and even told him that he made a bunch of mistakes. He messaged me back asking what in particular and I said "too many to explain.... if you want to do a skype or voice call we can sort it out". He apparently wasn't interested since I never heard from him again.

People don't like being told they are wrong.

Amen to that. It's almost as if there's an NDA for cohesive thought that folks consent to before getting on the internet.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I did get a laugh out of his comment that he talked to the FreeBSD developers, then spewed a bunch of FreeBSD crap. Reality check.. FreeBSD is NOT FreeNAS. FreeNAS isn't even FreeBSD either! FreeNAS is a derivative of FreeBSD, but they are not the same. Not by a longshot.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah. I've told Jordan Hubbard about it. He said something like "sales people aren't technical people.. and if it 'looks good' they'll link it". Sorry, but I consider that amateurish. Sales people shouldn't be spewing crap onto their facebook page without actually validating its informative *AND ACCURATE*.

scurrier

Patron
As an engineer, nothing annoys me more than non-technical sales people. You ask a question and you either get a blank stare or an attempt to BS their way around answering it. Or sometimes just a made-up answer that doesn't stand up to a basic gut-check.

This is almost worse though- actively steering people in the wrong direction.

I still feel that I am getting what I paid for, though :) (FreeNAS is free)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm an engineer myself, so I know exactly what you mean. Its also why I get annoyed with the sales propaganda from companies, lack of details from users here and in IRC, and have a general bad taste for companies that are trying to sell a product. Of course, free products can be just as bad or worse if the developers have a poor attention to detail.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Guess I could have posted here instead of making a thread in OT ... but I threw together a "cheap FreeNAS box" of my own.

Of course "cheap" meant "HP ML110 G5 with 8GB of ECC RAM and an Intel NIC."

I'm thrifty, not stupid. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.