HDD informational

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
For what it is worth, less than three months ago, I installed seven (7) brand new Toshiba drives in one of my NAS units to replace drives that had over five years of use. The old drives in that system were failing about one a month and I was attributing it to the age of the drives.
Since installing these Toshiba drives, I have had two of them fail on me in the short time they have been running. It is far too small a sample size to be statistically significant, but I think this doesn't say good things about the proposition of using 'desktop' grade Toshiba drives in a NAS and it makes me question using them in any installation.
The model is: TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB
They are inexpensive, but I have not been satisfied by them. A side note, in the same chassis with Seagate Barracuda drives, they run 3 to 5 degrees hotter.

Norlig

Explorer
It is possible you hit a streak of manufacturing imperfections.

I've read (but not followed myself) a tip that one should try to purchase drives from different times of manufacturing, and not ones that were made at the same time.
It minimizes the chances of all your new drives being made with the same fault (that were not detected in testing at the factory)

For example buying from different websites/stores if possible, or different brands if the price isn't too high.

It is possible you hit a streak of manufacturing imperfections.

I've read (but not followed myself) a tip that one should try to purchase drives from different times of manufacturing, and not ones that were made at the same time.
It minimizes the chances of all your new drives being made with the same fault (that were not detected in testing at the factory)

For example buying from different websites/stores if possible, or different brands if the price isn't too high.

Most of us here realize that. However the reviews from multiple sites for that drive are less than stellar except for the reviews that show they have only been owned for less than a month. Looks like they have a high failure rate some people's drives are failing after only a week or two of use but after a couple months there are a lot more failing.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
For what it is worth, less than three months ago, I installed seven (7) brand new Toshiba drives in one of my NAS units to replace drives that had over five years of use. The old drives in that system were failing about one a month and I was attributing it to the age of the drives.
Since installing these Toshiba drives, I have had two of them fail on me in the short time they have been running. It is far too small a sample size to be statistically significant, but I think this doesn't say good things about the proposition of using 'desktop' grade Toshiba drives in a NAS and it makes me question using them in any installation.
The model is: TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB
They are inexpensive, but I have not been satisfied by them. A side note, in the same chassis with Seagate Barracuda drives, they run 3 to 5 degrees hotter.
What was the burning in process? I don't think buying from different locations makes any difference. It's more important to test.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
What was the burning in process? I don't think buying from different locations makes any difference. It's more important to test.
I bought the drives back in October of last year and ran a full badblocks test on them back then. For a while after that they just sat around waiting for me. Once I actually put them in service, they have only got about 3000 running hours on them.

Edit: So, that is actually more like four months. Still, I feel like loosing 2 drives out of 7 in only four months of use is more than it should be.
I guess that, to be fair, I should say I put one of the drives in early (around 8000 hours ago) and after almost a year of service, it is still running fine. The other six were all put in within a week of each other. and two of those have failed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.