Hdd disapeared!! (HELP PLS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cattledog

Dabbler
Hi all,

I have a drive WD 360gig and all of a sudden it has disappeared no warning...done a check and it shows Drive3: Fixed WDC ROM USB MODEL-PINCLITE- as I have it in a windows comp using USF explorer pro it shows the next partition raw partition.

Any ideas as it has all my kids movies on it..

cheers in advance

enemy85

Guru
Providing at least a description of what hw and sw you are running, would have been a good point where to start...
I just understood u had an USB attached somewhere disk not showing any more...

cattledog

Dabbler
Providing at least a description of what hw and sw you are running, would have been a good point where to start...
I just understood u had an USB attached somewhere disk not showing any more...
running freenas 8.2 have five drives connected in ufs file format as under the 8gig to zfs. Drive was called kids but has now stopped and all I find is a raw partition? The was no indication that the drive was failing. Used Western Digital to check drive says smart pass. Used a program called UFS Explorer Pro which detects the drive but not the ufs partition. Any help would be good...cheers

krikboh

Patron
This is why it is not recommended to use drives connected through USB. Most of the USB to SATA adapters do not properly pass SMART data and will hide a failing drive. This combined with your use of a single drive (no redundancy) is a formula for lost data.

enemy85

Guru
@cattledog , still not understanding what the hell "five drives connected in ufs file format as under the 8gig to zfs" means and what hw are you running...but as @krikboh already told you, using drives USB connected is not recommended at all and is just a way for disaster.

krikboh

Patron
I believe he is saying he chose UFS because he has less than 8 GB of RAM and he has 5 drives setup as 5 individual volumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.