2TB HDD ZFS VOLUME SHiRINKED BY ITS SELF From 1.78TB to 1.55TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim T

Cadet
Hello

I have been using freenas now for almost 4 years but that's the second time i encounter that problem not only on that machine but seen it on another to

I have an HP Proliant NL36 Server with 5gb ddr3 ecc ram and i have installed on 2 x WD Green 2tb and 2 WD green 3tb .i mainly use it for uncompressed videos storage and media server playback.

I have it setup non raid in a way so every hdd has its own partition and shared 4 individually on windows
My problem is today i cut around 200gb files and pasted them on an external drive when it finished i noticed the drive on nas it shirked down from 1.78tb to 1.55tb on my volumes on freenas i can see it shows also 1.5tb but when i view the drive it shows correct 2tb .i have tried scrub volume but no errors .

Last time i had the same problem on another machine and i had to remove all my data and reformat the drive and put them back again.

Is that a bug ? or can i fix it with out i reformat the drive again or anything ?

Thanks

Fraoch

Patron
Do you have snapshots turned on? These decrease the total volume of the share. They expire after a set time, so they should go away after a while.

Jim T

Cadet
Hello i don't have it turned on but i have manually made one like 1 month ago do i have to delete it ?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
"turned on" is the wrong term. You either have snapshots or you don't. If you have snapshots, they can be taking space.

Jim T

Cadet
i dont have it turned on periodic snap shots i just take manually a snapshot 1 month ago but i am not sure if its that's it causing it

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Again, "turned on" is the wrong term. You either have snapshots or you don't. The mechanism used to create them is irrelevant. Periodic, manual, replicated, magic, or otherwise, if you have snapshots, they can be taking space.

Jim T

Cadet
hello jgreco

yes you where right i deleted it and it went back to 1.8tb i didnt know that snapshots take a part of the partition space

Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.