BUILD HDD choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advice from the community needed,

I am about to buy some HDD (finally it fits my budget). Now has come the time to choose. I was thinking of buying 4TB disks. My question is which manufacturer should I take? WD or Seagate? I've read over the time that WD RED disks are to be preferred over Seagate NAS disks. But this seems to be related to some production issues Seagate had around 2008. Is this info still up to date?

To make things clearer, I hesitate between
- Seagate NAS HDD, SATA 6G, 5900RPM, 4TB
- WD Red, SATA 6G, Intellipower, 4TB

Edit: misc. typos

Last edited:

Dice

Wizard
WD Reds are very popular.
I'm biased as I run them myself without any problems. (guess that is a good bias? ;) )

tres_kun

Dabbler
i have seagate nas 3TB 5 of them
I have a back-up so i am ok with failure but the 3 years warranty is my interest
Myself personally had no hard drive die on me of old age and that includes western digital and seagate
But for me western digital have had a massive infancy failure
The only diference i see between them is performance
Have a 6TB western digital red and its max copy speed is 160Mb/s going as low as 85Mb/s
Wille the segate the 5 of them are diferent ranging between 180-170Mb/s to low 90
So the Western digital is slower

What has made me to go with seagate is:
Have used one for more than 10 months
And the price was irresistible at 72 pounds each

Dice

Wizard
Seems like you already had made up your mind (as a consequence of formulating your post, if not before).

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
To make things clearer, I hesitate between
I think you'd be unlucky to have a problem with either. The important thing is that you're buying disks intended for NAS use, rather than desktop or 'green' disks. Don't be swayed by small differences in quoted performance for individual disks, it won't make any difference in a typical home NAS.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
I'm currently running a fair comparison between the WD Red and the Seagate NAS drives and for now I recommend the WD over the Seagate drives (they are quieter and one Seagate failed after 1.5 year) ;)

Arwen

MVP
Depending on your pool configuration, you could go with half Seagate and half WD.
Thus, manufacturing mistakes causing failures should only affect half of your drives.

That's kinda what I did for my 4 disk RAID-Z2;

2 x WD Red 4TB
2 x WD Red Pros 4TB

Though if I were to do it today, I would have thrown in a single Seagate NAS drive.
And maybe a HSGT, or other brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.