HBA vs Supermicro Onboard SATA Controller

vertigo8

Cadet
Hi,

I have purchased a Supermicro X12SPM-LN6TF motherboard, which allows for 8x SATA drives via two onboard SlimSAS interfaces. I've also purchased 8 x WD Red Pro SATA HDDs. However, I've seen conflicting information with regards to whether the motherboard is the best method of connecting them versus connecting them via an HBA.

I've seen some information which suggests that due to the fact that most SATA connectors on motherboard use the same controller as other ports (e.g. USB, NICs), it would be best to connect HDDs via an HBA card instead. If I did require an HBA, I was looking at HBA 9500-8i.

But I've also seen information which states that connecting to the motherboard would suffice

Any thoughts? What would you suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I've seen some information which suggests that due to the fact that most SATA connectors on motherboard use the same controller as other ports (e.g. USB, NICs), it would be best to connect HDDs via an HBA card instead.
Whoever's promoting that is probably trying to sell you HBAs. Unless you need SAS (e.g. you'll be using an expander backplane), the PCH SATA ports will do fine.
If I did require an HBA, I was looking at HBA 9500-8i
Not the first choice - it's more expensive than a SAS 9300 for no real benefit, unless you absolutely must buy new.

PhilD13

Patron
If you look up your supermicro motherboard on the supermicro website and download the manual for it, It will have a board layout showing what width X8, X16 the pcie slots actually as well as a flow chart outlining what devices share what pcie slots and what the total bus speed is for that branch. Any devices shown attached to the buss would have to share the total speed. Some slots are shared and some slots are not shared. Some slots share the same bus dividing the speed if both are used so the X8 slot in the board outline if it is shared with another slot would only run at x4 speed. Some slots may be shared with multiple devices and the chart will list them. You can then if adding an HBA card use a pcie slot that is not shared with anything else. I think pretty much all manufactures share the pcie slots in a similar way with at least some onboard components like network ports and sharing slots on the same bus.