HBA Card in truenas Core

Leonard Lassen

Explorer
Hi there,

I bought on Ebay a HBA Card in the IT Mode, I will put the Link in the bottom of the question.
As Hardware I use a hp Compaq Tower, the Link is also down bellow.
I placed the HBA Card in the PCIe 16x Slot, I know that the Card is 8x but that shouldnt be a Problem I think.
My Problem now is, that the disks in the Card are Not showing up in the Webinterface. Must the Card be configured at First? Or have I to enable something? I didnt know how to Go on in this Case.
Can someone help me with the next steps that it will work?

Kind regards Leonard.

HP Tower:

On Page 30 is the mainboard:

And the HBA card I am using:

c77dk

Patron
How are the disks connected? If it's sata via breakout cables you might have the wrong type (forward/reverse)

Leonard Lassen

Explorer
No, on both ends are SFF connectors, one end in the Card, the other one is in the backplane of the front.

Leonard Lassen

Explorer
Hi,

I have run now the following cmd:

C3D5444F-573B-477A-A6E8-84775784154F.jpeg

I think that the HBA card is the pci0 device? And it is missing drivers
Have I to install any drivers on Truenas?

How should I go on?

Kind regards Leonard

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I think that the HBA card is the pci0 device? And it is missing drivers
Have I to install any drivers on Truenas?

No, you cannot install drivers on TrueNAS. It's an appliance firmware, not a general purpose operating system. There are no drivers you could install which would "fix" this.

I am guessing that the "dmesg | grep mp" is an attempt to see if any instances of mpr0/mps0/mpt0 showed up during boot. It seems like they probably didn't. The card may be bad, or there may be some other problem.

HBA's are designed to run inside servers, not desktops, and sometimes there are obscure issues such as the infamous PCIe pins B5 B6 issue where some HBA's hate some mainboards due to SMBus issues.

Also, make certain that there is airflow over the HBA. You can bake them to death and make them disappear, though usually you have to try a bit to get that result.