Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiHo

Cadet
Hi all
I am planning to have a "simple" storage system to my family's photos and videos and other personal files. I suddenly came over this product an it sounds pretty secure and I am intending to try it.
I will be very thankfull if someone can tell me what ( Hardware ) is good/best to install FreeNAS8 on. Are there any recommended "boxes" I can buy and then I can download this product, burn it on a CD ( or on a USB drive ), put it in the box and start installing it? It could be about 2 TB of data.

Greeting,
Hiwa

wussy

Explorer
Hi,
Do you have a price limitaion? What speed would you like to have from the NAS? Are the films FullHD? How much disc space do you need. Do you want to have redundance?
Give us some more informations please!!!

HiHo

Cadet
Hi and thanks for your reply.
Do you have a price limitaion? I live in Norway and HardWare is expensive here. I am thinking of a total cost of 4000 NOK ( round 700 USD ).
What speed would you like to have from the NAS? I have no idea, but I would prefer to have a not less than a normal speed.
Are the films FullHD? Yes, my family movies are in HD .. But again, my biggest concern is BackUp.
How much disc space do you need. 2-3 TB
Do you want to have redundance? Yes .. I think it is very important.

Give us some more informations please!!!

Thanks again.

NB! I don't think I will be able to build something by my own ( as I have noticed some have done ) ..

b1ghen

Contributor
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

A popular choice seem to be the HP N40L server (or the older N36L if you can find it), all you need to do is add some RAM and your disks to it and you are set.
These go for about 2400-3000 SEK (USD 350-450) online here in Sweden so should be close to that in Norway to I think. You need to add the price for extra RAM and of course the drives themselves.

Edit: You also need a USB stick to boot Freenas of but any 2GB+ stick should be fine if you have some already.

wussy

Explorer
There is also one system from Ix that could be interesting for you.
Haven´t tested it yet but it should be ready to run:
http://www.ixsystems.com/servers/ix/home-and-office/freenas-mini.html

Take a look at it should be enough performance for your needs.
You can get the bare unit for 795$.
A little bit over the price you told me and there are no disks in it but it´s ready to go without to much effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.