CPU: AMD 1090T
RAM: 4x2GB Samsung ECC 1600MHz
MOBO: Asus M4A89GTP PRO/USB3
NIC: Intel EXPI9301CT
Drive Bay: Icy Dock Black Vortex MB074SP-1B
Drives: 4x4TB WD Red (non Pro)

New System:
CPU: Intel E3-1245 v6
RAM: 2x8GB Kingston DDR4 ECC (KVR24E17S8/8MA)
MOBO: MSI C236M Workstation
NIC: Intel EXPI9301CT
Drive Bay: Intel 6-bay FXX6DRV3GRBRD (Bays included with Advatronix Cirrus 1200 case)
Drives: 4x4TB WD Red (non Pro)

Network Devices:
Router: Amped Wireless Athena AC2600
Range Extender: Amped Wireless Athena-EX AC2600

Old system was hitting an average of 62MB/s writes. New setup is very unstable. As low as 12MB/s and up to 32MB/s with the same file tested. Read speeds are currently ~81MB/s. Both systems have been running off a Rosewill CAT7 line from the Athena-EX range extender. The extender is about 40ft away from the router in clear view from one room to the other. Nothing on the network has changed between upgrading the system. I'm using the latest FreeNAS 11.0-U2 with the drives setup in RaidZ2, no encryption.

I am using SMB and transferring from a Windows 10 Pro machine. Also tried connecting with NFS/CIFS and adjusting what version of SMB used on the server with no improvement.

I'm extremely happy with overall system performance since upgrading. File transfers are just killing me.
Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Transferring files over wireless results in what you are seeing here. Hard wire your system if you want good results.

empmdk

Dabbler
I understand wireless has limitations. However, I was hitting 60+MB/s for several months before the upgrade on the same network. Having it halved or worse between a few hours of swapping everything over leads me to believe there's something else involved.

Also, as I said, read speeds are still over 80MB/s transferring back over to the other PC which should rule out the network being the cause of terrible write speeds. If the write speeds were anywhere near the read I would be happy with that.

Last edited:
Was the old system running the same version of FreeNAS as the new system?

Was the old system running the same version of FreeNAS as the new system?

To take this farther did you reinstall and import your config on the new system or just reuse what was already set up? Any tunables set? Modify what SMB version you are using?

Remove any tunables that you have/turn off autotune would be a good first step if you do have anything setup. If it's not you could try turning it on and check things out. Grabbing a fresh USB drive and installing a new copy of FreeNAS could be something to try and see if something errant is messing with things. The later versions of SMB are more secure but also a bit slower than earlier version, this could also be attributed to Windows 10 with some of the bug fixes that have been passed down with the bugs that were targeting SMB though it should be a bit faster.

I would also log in and check to see that the WiFi is working at optimal performance levels. Never know what could get messed up there since the air is the connection, a neighbour with a amped CB or HAM radio could technically cause issues. The true solution is to run a hardline and be done with it but if you are going to troubleshoot moving the computer to the same room to test even temporarily with hardline would be a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.