Hardware layout recommendations for best practices

RavenNAS

Dabbler
Hello all,

Ive been tinkering with SCALE on an old computer for a while now and I want to step it up in a new build focusing on power efficiency, Ill be following some low power NAS guides but Im just not 100% on best practices for setting up the hardware and Im willing to use more power for better reliability as Im hoping this sustem will be in service a over a decade.

Primary uses for system
- Network storage (mostly long term)
- Jellyfin
- Nextcloud
- expandability for use with VMs (short term tinkering)

What I would like to know is what would be best to say; install truenas on 2 small mirrored SSDs, have another ssd for a fast dataset along with your storage say 6 hhds on a pci card (or on the motherboard if thats fine idk)

Currently i have a
- 1tb ssd partitioned for truenas install and for storage dataset for VMs and cache (I know this isnt ideal and it was a pain to do, I want to get away from it with new system).
- 4x 2tb hhds (for now)
- 32gb ram
- 4port sata pci card (dumb)

Which file system would be recommended? Currently using ZFS. Keep in mind Im looking for power efficiency.

Thank you

ChrisRJ

Wizard
- 4port sata pci card (dumb)
Those are strongly discouraged to use, they often cause problems down the road (even if they initially seem to work). If you do not have enough SATA ports on your motherboards, please get yourself a used LSI-based HBA flashed to IT mode. More details can be found in countless threads here. I would also suggest you have a look at the links in the "recommended readings" in my signature for more details.

RavenNAS

Dabbler
Those are strongly discouraged to use, they often cause problems down the road (even if they initially seem to work). If you do not have enough SATA ports on your motherboards, please get yourself a used LSI-based HBA flashed to IT mode. More details can be found in countless threads here. I would also suggest you have a look at the links in the "recommended readings" in my signature for more details.
Thank you so much for the reply!
I would love to read your recommendations but I dont see your signature

Last edited: