BUILD Hardware for ZFS build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so after keeping this paused for some time, I decided to go buy 4x WD Red 2TB drives (+ the 2 I have beforehand) since they were on sale.

I want to build a pretty decent NAS that will keep up for some years. I will look into some better stuff at a later date but for now I hope this will do.

I already have a i3 2120 laying around which will work nicely with what I do.
I do have a couple of memory kits, a Crucial 2x 4GB 1600Mhz chips and a couple of 2X2GB 1600Mhz. I thought of using the 8GB kit along with one of the 4GB kits, but is that necessarily going to work ok?
Drives will be 6x WD Red 2TB drives, preferably set up in RAIDZ2, which will give me 8TB of usable space. If it also makes a difference, I plan on putting a 60GB Force SSD for a cache, but only really if it makes speeds a good amount faster.

The really other things I need to order then are a motherboard, case and a network controller.
I've looked into these, but I'm looking for your impressions of it and how other parts possibly could improve performance and reliability of the system. Though, I'm not looking to use much more than this, as I'm not packed with money.

ASUS P8H77-M Pro;I chose this because I trust ASUS, plus it has "7" SATA ports, so I have 6 native ports for my 6 drives, + a extra Marvell one for my optional 60GB cache or if not a DVD drive.
Fractal Design Define Mini; I already have a Define R4 which I am very pleased with, this seems like a good case since it has room for 6 drives in their own separate caddies, and has enough fan options to add in if the drives seem to heat up or such. It also is a little bit smaller than a regular ATX case, and is a little bit quieter. I don't see why it should make a huge difference either way.
Intel 9301CT NIC; My PRO/1000 GT has kept up very well with the rest of my systems, and I don't see why this shouldn't do that either. Doesn't cost too much, but I guess it will work better than the built in NIC anyway.

First of all I want to have this take (another) backup of my media drive. I already have a RAID 1 in my desktop, but for a second (third) backup I want this to have them, in case anything should happen.

Second I would just like it to have some files I want to access for multiple computers, like movies and films, so that I don't have to use memory sticks and external HDDs all the time. More like a DLNA server.

Tell me what you think, when I receive the hard-drives I will take a test to see if they're any good, and if so, I'll order the other parts ASAP.

K

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Um... you need to look at ecc ram and give up the idea of an l2arc until you max out your board. The l2arc uses ram and if you don't have enough it can backfire. Already told 2 people today that l2arcs aren't magical.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Okay, got it, I'll just trash the cache idea then, really don't need it anyway.

ECC will really make it's cost into it, but I suppose it's worth it in the long shot.

Except from that, does the rest look good then?
Looks like I have to scrap the idea of a new case, new NIC and motherboard, and instead go with a 1155 ECC motherboard and some 16GB kit of ECC RAM then.

Any idea for a board (preferably other than Supermicro as it's shit expensive here, like 265$ for the X9SCM-F, which is the lowest board) that supports ECC and 1155 i3's?

EDIT: I found 580$ I forgot I had from a computer I sold, so I'm more than likely to buy a SuperMicro board now and shell out the money for ECC
Now, I can't find an answer on Google, but do any of you know if the i3 2120 supports ECC on the SuperMicro board or if it has any substitute, since the board says it supports 2nd gen i3'S?
K

Status
Not open for further replies.