Hard disks don't enter in standby mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfr2006

Contributor
Hello:

I've set the disks ond my volume 2 to enter in standby after 5 minutes of inactivity. The volume has no activity at all, but they don't seem to enter in standby :confused:....

Regards.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Did you reboot after you changed the setting? I already have a ticket in to make the changes immediate to which they are not as of yet. I have other things to try if rebooting doesn't solve the problem.

jfr2006

Contributor
Did you reboot after you changed the setting? I already have a ticket in to make the changes immediate to which they are not as of yet. I have other things to try if rebooting doesn't solve the problem.

No, i did not try to reboot after changing...did not expect to be necessarily..i will try that one!

jfr2006

Contributor
Done the rebooting, which lead to 2 things:

1 - The system no longer answer, so had to do a small trip to home to found out what was happening. It had blocked when closing the buffers with a time out error. Reset and now is running scrub on volume 1. Don't know if this was caused by this blocking and error.
2 - Still no standby to disks on volume 2... Could it be some kind of problem with the promise controller?

Regards.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You get no error messages when you set HDD Standby to some value? Right now you should for the drives you have. It's a false error message but it hasn't been fixed as of yet.

Do this: Read this ticket https://support.freenas.org/ticket/455 to see if you have any similarities. If so, add a comment to the ticket with your indications.

Also try this, read this posting and see if it helps you. I'd like you to try the steps to do a manual ataidle setup to see if it works. http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?449-timeout-waiting-for-write-DRQ&p=3670#post3670

Let me know how this turns out.

-Mark

jfr2006

Contributor
Hi:

Strange enough, before I had any drives connected, i use to have that CAM status error, Now, it does no appear in my boot log.

i tried the command suggested by the post you pointed out and get the following:

freenas# ataidle -i 330 ada6
(pass6:ata3:0:0:0): IDLE_IMMEDIATE. ACB: e1 00 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 00 00 00
(pass6:ata3:0:0:0): CAM status: CCB request completed with an error
Failed to configure idle mode.
freenas#

I'm going to try 5 minutes to see if they spindown...

Regards.

joeschmuck

Old Man
A value of 330 was just an example, 5 minutes is reasonable for a test. Let me know how it goes.

jfr2006

Contributor
It does not seem to have spin down :(... However, the power consume has reduced to the normal i get after some hours powered on when i only had volume1. Don't ask why this happens, but after some hours working, my power goes down from 56W to 26W with slit peeks of 50W. Now the peeks are of 66W, 70W...

joeschmuck

Old Man
That's a huge change in power, maybe the ataidle is working properly. Something else you can do is issue "ataidle -S 5 ada#" (use S vice I) and it will immediately power down the drive and the timer. This is fine for testing but not good to use the S parameter in the program because the drive will spin down and spin right back up again because FreeNAS isn't completed accessing the drives.

So, what did you change in your compiled version to throw the "M" into your title?

jfr2006

Contributor
That's a huge change in power, maybe the ataidle is working properly. Something else you can do is issue "ataidle -S 5 ada#" (use S vice I) and it will immediately power down the drive and the timer. This is fine for testing but not good to use the S parameter in the program because the drive will spin down and spin right back up again because FreeNAS isn't completed accessing the drives.

So, what did you change in your compiled version to throw the "M" into your title?

When i had only volume 1, on the on board connectors, i had already this power changes... Even though that i'm always using volume 1 (transmission always running and seeding).

As for the M, forget it..it's a typo... Have to change my signature..Anyway, today i will go to update to release 6959 or maybe 6964 ;)

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.