Guidance on finally upgrading from Corral to 11.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Remes

Contributor
I've decided that the time is right for me to upgrade from Corral to 11.1.x. I never had a 9.x release installed so I can't "roll back" to it; I need a fresh install.

I've already read the Resource page on this topic but I have additional questions before I start the process.

Before I get to my questions, here is the data that I have recorded from my Corral installation.
* All volumes including their device paths (e.g. /dev/ada0)
* All datasets and their owner uid/gid
* All shares and their owner uid/gid
* All uid
* All gid
* Server IP (static) and default route
* All tunables (just one hw.mfi.allow_cam_disk_passthrough which I think was default on Corral)
* I made sure to run `zfs list` script on the Resource page to verify I don't have any of the weird Corral-only ACL stuff

My questions:
* Anything else that I should record? (e.g. hard drive serials)

* Which 11.x release should I install? On the downloads page (http://download.freenas.org/11/) I see several options. I am okay with "bleeding edge" so a BETA1 or MASTER is okay (I do not want a 11.0-U? install). The only caveat is that I want to be able to switch to a STABLE train at some point when 11.1 is officially released.

* My hardware is the X10-SDV-TLN4F-O motherboard with the 1.1c BIOS and 3.46 firmware. There is a 1.2a BIOS and 3.58 firmware. I haven't had any real trouble (though the HTML5 IPMI support is a bit hinky) so I'm fine with staying on these BIOS & firmware levels. Does any recommend that I upgrade these? If so, may I assume I should complete the 11.x upgrade first and get that stable before I start mucking with the motherboard software?

* I plan to replace my docker containers with jails. I intend to use the new/beta GUI so that the jails are created with iocage instead of warden. Am I making a mistake by doing so?

Thanks for your attention.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
(e.g. hard drive serials)
How would that help?

* Which 11.x release should I install? On the downloads page (http://download.freenas.org/11/) I see several options. I am okay with "bleeding edge" so a BETA1 or MASTER is okay (I do not want a 11.0-U? install). The only caveat is that I want to be able to switch to a STABLE train at some point when 11.1 is officially released.
The least painful option is 11.0-UWaheteverTheLatestIs. The trains have been a bit picky about jumping between them, lately.

* My hardware is the X10-SDV-TLN4F-O motherboard with the 1.1c BIOS and 3.46 firmware. There is a 1.2a BIOS and 3.58 firmware. I haven't had any real trouble (though the HTML5 IPMI support is a bit hinky) so I'm fine with staying on these BIOS & firmware levels. Does any recommend that I upgrade these? If so, may I assume I should complete the 11.x upgrade first and get that stable before I start mucking with the motherboard software?
If everything's running well, there's nothing directly related to FreeNAS that would help.

* I plan to replace my docker containers with jails. I intend to use the new/beta GUI so that the jails are created with iocage instead of warden. Am I making a mistake by doing so?
No, just wait for 11.1-Release to make sure that iocage is indeed working with the new GUI. I guess it should be in RC1, too, but I haven't checked.

Chuck Remes

Contributor
How would that help?
So the answer is "No, you don't need to record any other data. What you listed is enough." Good.

The least painful option is 11.0-UWaheteverTheLatestIs. The trains have been a bit picky about jumping between them, lately.
Hmmm, this is disappointing. As a result I'll probably kick the can down the road another few days (weeks?) until 11.1 is released.

No, just wait for 11.1-Release to make sure that iocage is indeed working with the new GUI. I guess it should be in RC1, too, but I haven't checked.
+1 on this suggestion. I'll wait for 11.1.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.