GUI Button for collection of /var/log

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I troubleshoot my lil FreeNAS I typicaly dump a lot of my inquires into /var/log

ex:

cat /etc/version > /var/log/version.txt
cat /etc/resolv.conf > /var/log/resolv.txt
cat /etc/hosts > /var/log/hosts.txt
cat /etc/exports > /var/log/exports.txt
showmount -e > /var/log/showmount.txt

Then I wrap it up into a nice little package with a pretty bow on top by using the following command:
tar cvjf /tmp/mylog.txz /var/log

Then I have to scp mylog.txz off my FreeNAS

What would make things so much easier would be for FreeNAS to have a GUI button to collect /var/log just like we can now do for the freenas debug.

Whattteva

Wizard
I just use the shell and tail -f (or multitail if you want to get fancy).
Relatively little to no hassle process and offers real-time monitoring.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You know, if you create a dataset called "syslog" it'll dump the logs there. Just share that folder and you can do whatever you want to the logs remotely....

Yatti420

Wizard
You know, if you create a dataset called "syslog" it'll dump the logs there. Just share that folder and you can do whatever you want to the logs remotely....

Really? With no editing of configs? Is it really that easy? I never knew this or saw it in the docs.. I always accessed stuff via /var/log..

cyberjock,

The idea of creating a dataset on my zpool called "syslog"rocks. This would not only make the logs persistent across reboots it would solve the file systems full errs I used to get. I hate cleaning out rrds. What would you do use a symlink?

Status
Not open for further replies.