SOLVED Guest share on SMB stopped working

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
I have a media data set which I then share out via NFS for my Plex Docker container, and also via SMB as guest-only share so I can temporarily mount it to use for dropping in new media. This worked fine until a couple of days ago. Now when I try to mount my guest-only share, I get

1590596993126.png

I've tried multiple things, including enabling insecure guest logins on my workstation, and adjusting the ACL permissions on the share, but this behavior now persists. Any suggestions?

Samuel Tai

It took me a while to figure this out, but this is because Samba now sets map to guest = Never. I had to set an Auxiliary paramter map to guest = Bad User, and guest account = plex in the SMB service, along with removing force user and force group from the media share's Auxiliary parameters to get things to behave as before. I also had to create ACLs matching the permissions 0755 on the dataset.

SubtleOrc

Cadet
Can you explain in a little bit more detail what you did with the auxiliary parameters?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
"Map to guest = Never" should only be set if you lack guest shares. If you add a guest share (and it's the first one on the server, then you may need to restart the SMB services). No core functionality should require setting auxiliary parameters.

Samuel Tai

"Map to guest = Never" should only be set if you lack guest shares. If you add a guest share (and it's the first one on the server, then you may need to restart the SMB services). No core functionality should require setting auxiliary parameters.

On 11.3-U3.2, I found via testparm -s -v that map to guest = Never was the default, and I had to change it to map to guest = Bad User via Aux params to get my existing guest share to work.

I did get rid of guest account = plex, and just used the pull-down for guest account.