Greetings from the Netherlands

Moluccan

Dabbler
Hi Eugene here.

What happened:
  • Since 2016 I am the owner of a Asustor AS5002T with 2x WD Red 3.0Tb (Raid-1)
  • 1.5 week ago I started my NAS after it was turned-off for a few hours, but it didn't start anymore :(
  • I was thinking of buying a new Asustor NAS, but I am also owning a self build home-server, so I have chosen for setting-up FreeNAS on this server
  • Also because I have read that my data on the disks (EXT4) can be imported in FreeNAS
FreeNAS Reason:
So the main reason for choosing FreeNAS for me;
  • my Asustor data can be imported (Import Disk functionality)
  • I already have a server, so why spending money for something new
Server info:
  • Asus P10S-I motherboard
  • Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5 3.4Ghz
  • 16Gb memory
  • 2x HDD
I played on this server with Virtual Machines, mostly Linux boxes.

FreeNAS - part 1:
  • Yesterday I installed FreeNAS on a USB Memory Disk
  • is it not better to install FreeNAS on my OCZ-Agility3 SSD 120.0Gb or a SSD M.2?
  • Added a WD 2.0Tb to the Pools
  • Used the "Import Disk" function to import a (partially) back-up of my Asustor NAS, stored on a external USB SSD drive.
  • Created a Windows Share (SMB) to the imported data of the back-up
  • Created a user/password (same as my Windows 10 account) with access to the imported data (data was accessible on my WIndows 10 machine)
FreeNAS - next steps:
  • Waiting for a SATA-splitter-cable 4x SATA (Supermicro CNL-SAT) using now only 2x SATA (onboard), today I found out that my motherboard supports 6x SATA in total.
  • Importing data of one of my Asustor WD 3.0Tb disks
  • Setting-up Raid1 with the 2x WD 3.0Tb disks (no idea yet how to do this, but I think it is an ZFS-option in the Pools)
  • Studying the functionalities of FreeNAS :)
Ok this is my story................