SOLVED Got a database is locked error and now "trying to mount root from..." error during boot

Mannekino

Patron
I got an email notification saying the database was locked, I did some searching and found that people mentioned a reboot would work. So I did a reboot from the GUI and it didn't properly shut down so I decided to give it a reset through IPMI. Now I'm staring at the following message while trying to boot.

Trying to mount root from zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/11.2-U6 []...

FreeNAS1.jpg

I recently upgraded to 11.2-U6 (I think it was 2 weeks ago). Haven't encountered any issues until now. How do I proceed? I'm pretty worried. Before I did the reboot I checked all my pools and everything was healthy, including the boot pool. I installed FreeNAS on mirrored USB drives.

Specs of my server
  • Motherboard: Supermicro X9SCM-F
  • CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1260L
  • Memory: 32GB ECC (4x 8GB Kingstong ValueRAM KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G)
  • HBA: Dell PERC H200 (flashed in IT mode)
  • Storage SDD: 2x Samsung PM863 240GB connected through the two onboard SATA3 (6Gb/s) ports
  • Storage HDD: 4x Western Digital Red 4TB (connected through the HBA)
  • Storage USB: 2x SanDisk Ultra Fit 32GB
As mentioned above FreeNAS is installed on the two USB drives in a mirrored configuration. The two SSDs are in a mirrored setup also and that where I assigned the system dataset too as well as all my Jails.

Last edited:

Mannekino

Patron
I managed to select the 11.2-U5 boot environment during boot and then it continued without any problems. After booting I saw that one of my USB drives wasn't functioning properly. I replaced it and resilvered and now the 11.2-U6 is working again.