Good starting point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuelellis

Dabbler
Hi - sorry for the questions but i just came across this and it look like a good starting point for a freenas box

http://www.ebuyer.com/758894-hpe-pr...3-4ghz-4gb-tower-server-837826-421-837826-421

takes ECC RAM (64GB max), a fair amount of SATA ports, multiple PCI expansion slots

The only downside is the slow-ish CPU but they do sell the same machine with a xeon E3-1225 so it looks like that has an upgrade path and a small amount of RAM but that would be easily remedied

Looking at it can you do any better for the base of a budget freenas build?

gpsguy

I mentioned it in a couple of threads this week. I ordered one in the US with an i3-6100 with 4GB RAM for $200 USD. Obviously one would need additional RAM for FreeNAS.

samuelellis

Dabbler
Yep for Freenas i know i would have to upgrade the RAM but it looks like a bargain for even just the CPU and motherboard.

I know that the CPU isnt that powerful on the one ive linked to but i would think that it should handle some light plex work ontop of running the array (probably better than the amd turion ii neo n40l in my old HP microserver)

gpsguy

It's much faster than the CPU in your N40L. :smile:

I have a N40L and a N54L. The latter runs ESXi. I loaded PMS in a Windows server VM for proof of concept. I was able to DVR an hour of TV. But, I can't transcode the 4GB 1080p file to play it.

samuelellis

Dabbler
cheers - ive had a n40l for years and years running Linux with a mdadm array on it (Raid5 with 5 3TB drives) but as its filling up then i think its time for me to move off it to something like Freenas. I plan to keep the n40l for offsite backup duties

If i went for the HP ML10 then what i would probably do is not mount the drives inside the case but mount them in a 3d printed stacking system next to the case and just use long SATA cables as i want to run more than the case can handle but like I said its a bargain even for just the board and CPU

onlyjeeps

Cadet
@samuelellis Did you ever put that system together? I'd love to hear what you did and how. Also would love to see pictures of the 3D printed stack for the external drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.