Good performance on copying, not on streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

fede2222

Dabbler
Hi

I very happy with Freenas, but sometimes i have an strange behaivor that i dont know how to fix it.

When i copying a video file (mkv, avi, etc) from one of the SMB shares i get 30Mb/s... all are Green HDDs and never do performance tuning, so i'm ok with that. But when i view some videos (mkvs) they have slowdowns...

I know the PC is not the problem, because if i play them locally it goes well.

My suspicious is because the media player (Media Player Classic Home Cinema) when it plays get a portion of the file, play, then request another portion, play, and go on... When get a portion of the file (in separate "times") i have an access delay that make the slowdown.

There a recommended media player that perform better?... or some tweaks to Freenas for the problem. It not happen all the time... so is difficult to reproduce to identify and fix that.

Any ideas?...

thanks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Can you provide ALOT more information than "its broken". I'd start with the FreeNAS version you are using and the hardware it is running on.

fede2222

Dabbler
Can you provide ALOT more information than "its broken". I'd start with the FreeNAS version you are using and the hardware it is running on.

Sure, sorry... it is:
* Core i5 750
* 8 GB of RAM
* Medium-end motherboard
* All HDDs are connected to the motherboard, it has 8 SATA ports
* Two RaidZ arrays. 4 disks each. The 8 disk are Western Digital Green 2TB
* Is connected to the network via Gigabit Lan OnBoard
* The network is a home network, this server provides access to 5 PCs, is rarely that 2 PCs access at the same time

Any more info?

thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What network card are you using? What chip does your onboard use?

How full is your zpool? Is it more than 80% full?

If you do a 'dd' test how fast do you get? This could be a sign of a failing disk. One disk going bad can cause the entire zpool to slow to a crawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.