Genuine Chelsio S310E-CR 10 Gigabit Ethernet SFP+ PCIe network card 110-1107-30

Status
Not open for further replies.

SATELLITE

Dabbler
Hi..

I can not initialise my Genuine Chelsio S310E-CR 10 Gigabit Ethernet SFP+ PCIe network card in FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201502271818.

PlatformIntel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory32618MB

I am told that it requires the cxgb3 driver on Linux/FreeBSD/Unix, which is not included by default with all systems.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Welcome to FreeNAS. We are NOT linux.

SATELLITE

Dabbler
Umm… thank you for your input. Do you have anything helpful to add to my problem?

marbus90

Guru
Get a proper system. The Core i5 indicates that you don't have an ECC capable system. In case the board isn't a server one, that is most likely to be the issue.

SATELLITE

Dabbler
???

The Intel i5 system can this this nic in its sleep! the issue is not the main-board.

**Using your analogy, EVERYONE in the world who wanted to run a 10GB NIC would have to run out and set themselves up with a SERVER? Sorry no.

And my memory IS ECC. Which again has nothing to do with the 10GB NIC issue.

Can someone post something that actually makes ANY sense I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Get a proper system. The Core i5 indicates that you don't have an ECC capable system. In case the board isn't a server one, that is most likely to be the issue.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Your memory may be ECC, but you are NOT using the ECC function. ECC on Intel platforms requires 3 things:

1. CPU that supports ECC (oops.. *all* i5s do NOT support ECC)
2. Motherboard that has a server-grade chipset (I can't vouch for what you have, but my guess is it's not a server chipset)
3. RAM that is ECC (the one thing you claim to have)

So congrats on having ECC RAM. You aren't using the ECC function though.

And to be honest, I'm gonna go ahead and step out of this thread. Your attitude is not worth my time as a volunteer. You'll probably find very few people that will reply to you after reading your incorrect comments and responses.

I truly wish you the best of luck.

Mlovelace

Guru
That card uses the Chelsio T3 ASIC, and even though it's a bit old, should be fully supported by the cxgb driver. In fact the t3_tom.ko is in the kernel. So, yeah it should work.

About the other thing (ECC) your board and ram support it, that's cool, but your cpu doesn't, so it ain't whatcha think.

And you do, even if you don't mean to, come off kinda smug. :(

SATELLITE

Dabbler
Thanks for the NIC info.

Now.. How do I diagnose this issue in freenas?

Status
Not open for further replies.