General Server questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nattan

Explorer
I ended up getting a recommended inter-graded server: ASRock C2750D4I Mini ITX, and some validated ECC ram for it. and discovered that it had a new interesting features. Like being able to remote into the server via ethernet and power it on/control it.

I am trying to get the following to work, or work in the way that i want them to.
- Console Redirection, every time i try to run this it instead starts a download for
"jsol.jnlp"
-Hardware monitoring, it shows current temps but I do not see anyway to customize temperature thresholds to show up on an event log.

Any ideas?

danb35

Hall of Famer
- Console Redirection, every time i try to run this it instead starts a download for
"jsol.jnlp"
This is some Java wierdness. Are you using a Mac, by any chance? I've never been able to get the browser-based IPMI console on my SuperMicro to work under MacOS, though it does work under Firefox for Windows. Or, if you have the IPMIView utility, that works under MacOS for me as well. But in any event, what's happening is that your Java Web Start isn't installed or configured properly.

nattan

Explorer
No I am using windows 7 (64bit) and I have tried IE, Firefox, Chrome and they do not seem to allow me to control it only to download that file.

Gonzalo

Patron
The only way to see your server through IPMI is using Java on the client machine. So, as pirateghost said, download the file and run it with Java. Also, you need to add an exception on Java settings to bypass the security.
If you have troubles configuring IPMI with ASRock let us know because could be a bit tricky.

nattan

Explorer
I figured it would manually open with java, after setting it to lunch with javaws it worked perfectly.

Glorious1

Guru
For me the IPMIview utility (which is also Java) has been more reliable than the one that pops out of the web-based IPMI. Often Java crashes from the web based one.

nattan

Explorer
For me the IPMIview utility (which is also Java) has been more reliable than the one that pops out of the web-based IPMI. Often Java crashes from the web based one.
I will give that a try, I do like it better Now I am just trying to get it to add a new user so I can login under a preferred name and it does not want to see to do that.

Last edited:

Glorious1

Guru
I will give that a try, I do like it better Now I am just trying to get it to add a new user so I can login under a preferred name and it does not want to see to do that.
I've never had a token or login requested, not sure what's going on there.

Gonzalo

Patron
If you want to use IPMIView from Super Micro you need to download the utility from: ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/utility/IPMIView

Status
Not open for further replies.