G-technology G-rack 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysticmerlin

Cadet
First time here, first server.
I run an audio post pro joint with modest requirements but now need to have proper encryption and ldap capabilities.
I have been offered a demo G-technology G-rack 12 with 48tb for half price, roughly 7k

http://www.g-technology.com/sites/d...product/g-rack_12_datasheet_r2_fr_0417-lr.pdf

It has 12 drives with 128g ram 4x10gbe
with dual e5 v3 Xeon cpus and dual 900e PSU.
I was thinking I could trash their BTRfs and install a FreeNAS on this.
Any pitfalls? Other recommendations?

Thanks

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

More than likely uses hardware raid. Hardware raid and FreeNAS do not play well. Change the raid controller to an HBA and it could be useful but as is it seems to use Raid6.

http://www.g-technology.com/sites/d...product/g-rack_12_datasheet_r6_na_0417-lr.pdf for the those who speak English.

But honestly if you are going to end up buying something of this nature you are probably better off just buying a TrueNAS and being done since once you dump the OS on the thing you are looking at and install FreeNAS support goes out the window.

tvsjr

Guru
$7K? Holy crap. Ignoring the fact that that box likely has a hardware RAID controller and other issues, it's expensive.

As for the CPU, that's almost certainly far more CPU than you will require. I have dual E5-2670s and they barely break a sweat, and that's providing service to 40-odd VMs via NFS. And, it's only 12 drives.

Try this instead:
Pick up a 24-drive Supermicro 4U box off eBay. Let's say, at the outside, that's $2K. Add some RAM ($500), a Chelsio 4-port 10G card ($300), a LSI 9210-8i HBA ($100), a small SSD for boot ($100) and a large SSD for L2ARC ($300, not required). You're up to $3300. Add 12 WD Red 8TB (or HGST NAS, or pick your poison) drives (12 * $250 = $3,000) configured in two 6-disk RAID-Z2 vdevs. That gives you 56 TiB of usable space, and the ability to add another 6 or 12 drives to double that space.

If you really want growth, find one of the 36-bay chassis like I have. That would let you get to 168TiB usable in one box.

mysticmerlin

Cadet
Thank you very much for your answers . Indeed I had overlooked the fact that it is probably a hardware raid. It’s just that I got a quote for a truenas with 44To 32Go ram dual 10Gbe for 7.5k. So much less ram a bit less disk for 500$ more. I’ll keep looking .

danb35

Hall of Famer
that I got a quote for a truenas with 44To 32Go ram dual 10Gbe for 7.5k. So much less ram a bit less disk for 500$ more.
Between the two, I'd go for the TrueNAS box without question--you know it will all work and you'll have (very good, by all accounts) support for it. But if you're wanting to save money, a used Supermicro server off eBay (as @tvsjr suggested) can get you a lot of bang for your buck.

mysticmerlin

Cadet
Thank you for your help. I’ve started a new thread with a used eBay server

Status
Not open for further replies.