FYI Pool Lost on Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlpellet

Patron
Just a heads-up. Earlier today, one of my FreeNAS servers (current 9.3 stable) reported a degraded boot volume. I ran a scrub from the CLI which failed & removed the failed device. I shut the system down & replaced the "bad" USB flash drive & the system rebooted normally with the boot volume missing mirror report. Again, through the CLI, I told the system to replace the failed drive with the new one, which was larger (16GB v 8). Everything appeared to complete normally (no error new error msg) so I opened a shell to clear the error. When I executed the zpool clear command the server locked up. After a hard power cycle, neither boot drive would boot the system. At this point, I pulled both USB drives & installed 9.3 stable on completely fresh drives. The sstem rebooted normally & I told it to restore config from last save, dated 4/2015. On reboot, the pool showed an error as unable to get free space. At this point, I deted the old pool & recreated. System seems fine & am copying over data now from another server. Only thing I can think of for the restore error in there was cone config diffence. From now on, I'll save config anytime the OS updates.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Cool story bro.

What is your hardware and exact freenas version?

jlpellet

Patron
This server is running an AMD A6-5400 with 8GB RAM on FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011. I recognize general wisdom is to avoid AMD & ensure ECC which this CPU does not support but in this case, I think the issue was the old config restoring to a newer version.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

jlpellet

Patron
I waited 10+ minutes. I've never seen the clear command to take more than a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.