SOLVED FYI, CAM Status Errors, Checksum Errors, Read/Write Errors, all 4 drives, all day long...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nipomo

Dabbler
Started getting massive amounts of drive related errors for all 4 drives. I replaced the worst drive (based on read/write errors) and re-silvered. New drive started throwing errors soon after replacement. Shut it down and checked every card and cable connection in the box. Found a loose red wire in the molex connector to the drive bay, the wire slipped right out of the crimped connection. Fixed the connection and fired the box back up. After off-lining, wiping and re-silvering a couple of drives (one at a time), the box is back to normal.

So, the only help I can provide from this experience is that when you see multiple failures all at once, look for a common cause.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Good find. At first when I started to read your posting I was thinking, Geez, another person with another massive problem, probably crappy hardware. But it was nice to see a solution as well. It is nice seeing someone taking the time to troubleshoot thier own equipment problems. I hope you don't have any further problems like that.

Nipomo

Dabbler
Good find. At first when I started to read your posting I was thinking, Geez, another person with another massive problem, probably crappy hardware. But it was nice to see a solution as well. It is nice seeing someone taking the time to troubleshoot thier own equipment problems. I hope you don't have any further problems like that.
Thanks - I really like the Mini, it's been great. This is one of those problems you never see coming, it's really rare for a connector like this to have problems. I wouldn't even expect the builders to see this unless the wire just popped out during the build. That bad connection had to be hard on the system (low drive voltage and noise), I'm glad the data held up through it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.