FusionIO Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexusone

Dabbler
Yes I have support. Yes I have access to the drivers. The FreeBSD system underneath freenas appears to be too broken/impaired to compile the driver. I'm not sure why this isnt a readily available option out of the box.

Anyone gotten this to work? Anyone interested in making it work? I'm willing to pay a bounty.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Umm.... FusionIO support is only available in TrueNAS. ;)

Don't let me stop you from offering a bounty, but my guess is that the powers that be that have the knowledge/skill to add that driver are probably not going to help you.

Mlovelace

Guru
My understanding is that you have to get the freeNAS source code, add the driver to the kernel then recompile freeNAS.

nexusone

Dabbler
That's annoying. If I could buy TrueNAS software cheaply for home use I would. --- The knowledge and skill to add the driver isn't that hard. I just don't feel like burning up a day of time to rework the freebsd source tree and the freenas partition scheme to allow me to build the driver.

mjws00

Guru
I'll make it work. Just send me the card ;)

Honestly, if I was putting out for a fusion-io and the right hardware to surround it with. I'd either pay iX. Compile it myself. Or just run an OS that supports the bloody card. FreeNAS is nice for some things, but at the end of the day it's just a GUI. BSD or IllumOS are far more flexible not to mention ZOL.

Good luck. If I sound jealous, I am.

nexusone

Dabbler
That GUI makes a lot of things a lot easier. Except for installing additional device drivers. :)

J

jkh

Yes I have support. Yes I have access to the drivers. The FreeBSD system underneath freenas appears to be too broken/impaired to compile the driver.
Err, FreeNAS is not a development platform. It has to fit on small USB sticks. It's an appliance. FreeNAS is also open source and is trivially easy to build, so sticking the Fusion I/O driver into the FreeNAS source and building a custom installation image would take less time than reading this thread. ;)

nexusone

Dabbler
Yes but then it will break the next time there's an update to FreeNAS and then you're on the hack/update treadmill. That's not an elegant solution. If I'm going down that road I might as well just install a fullblown system and configure it. Which is what I wound up doing this evening. It's okay, FreeNAS has different goals I get it. It's just too bad. I like FreeNAS and PCIe storage is commonplace these days. I was just amazed to discover it was such a pain to make work.

Status
Not open for further replies.